1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to come out as lesbian but I'm afraid I'll change

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Thespian, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Thespian

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I use to think I was asexual, until recently, and I was pretty confident with that label, too. But now I think I'm gay. Like I said, I do indeed think I'm a lesbian, but I'm afraid to come out because there's part of me that's telling me I might change. Like in the future I might realize I'm actually bi or pan.

Here's links to some of my other posts just to give you a better understanding of my sexuality.
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anonymous-sexual-romantic-orientation/172233-i-think-i-might-gay.html
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anony.../172326-what-does-say-about-my-sexuality.html

Sorry this post is so poorly worded, but if you have any input, please share. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The answer is simple: come out as a lesbian and if your feelings change in the future, switch your label to match.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Do as you feel comfortable with. If you find yourself liking guys, then there's no harm in changing how you identify in the future.

4. Thespian

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, but I already came out as asexual. I don't want to have to come out for a third time.

5. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with this.

Sure, it can be difficult to come out to people more than once but that's why you need to learn to not care about what other people think and just be you. It really wouldn't be the end of the world if you were to change your label.

6. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I can see how it may be annoying to come out more than twice but I think it's better than hiding your true identity when you want nothing more than to be open and honest.

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can wait till you feel more confident if need be. It's unlikely you'll feel quite so uncertain for a long time. You'll probably develop a little bit of confidence about it.

8. mmcatat

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You know, it's common for human beings to change over time. I've had multiple careers, lived abroad, identified variously as Christian, athiest, and agnostic, and wondered about a lot of my identity.

So I have the same worry you do: am I *really* (insert LGBTQ letter here). But if I'm comfortable in my own heart having multiple religious, cultural, and career stances (with various degrees of openness, depending on context) and allowing them to change over time... now I think.. maybe that's okay for sexual identity as well?

9. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you could come out as a lesbian, but say that your sexuality is kind of fluid and might change in the future.
    I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

10. Still Hopeful

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just be yourself, and dont worry about labeling who you are.

11. Oh Lilac

Don't worry about owing anyone an explanation for your change. Just say it is what it is! Easier said than done, but think about it... It is your life, so you should do what you want to do despite what others think.