1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know what I am...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by LindseyF123, Apr 2, 2015.

1. LindseyF123

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Am I bisexual?

Hello, everyone. I just signed up 5 minutes ago! I'm Lindsey and I'm 16 years old. I enjoy a variety of things from k-pop to felt-wool crafts! I'm having trouble figuring out my sexual orientation. I have never claimed to be straight but my family just assumes I am of course... I am attracted to boys but I feel a similar attraction to girls as well. I have had a boyfriend (y'know, one of those awkward middle school meeting-up-by-each-other's-locker-and-asking-about-each-other's-day kind of relationship). I also recently went to prom with another male-friend. My mom often teases me about dating him but the thought makes me uncomfortable... However, I often think about my best friend and the thought of dating her would make me very happy if she feels the same way. If not, that's fine too as long as we continue to be friends. When we were in 6th grade, we were holding hands in class without really thinking about it, until another student gave us a disgusted look, and I let go. Ever since, I felt like there was something wrong with liking my best friend. :icon_redf Also, one time I was in the car with my mom and talking about sexualities; and I happened to bring up that I would willingly date a girl if I liked her enough, and she immediately said "Oh stop!" Like what I said was inappropriate. But she claims to be accepting of LGBT people. Lastly, I watch dramas sometimes. And seeing a male and female kiss is fine, and seeing a male and male kiss is fine, but when I see a female and female kiss, I sometimes feel little butterflies in my stomach, and it makes me smile because it's cute :kiss: Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts. Does this make me bisexual? I believe I am, but I'm not 100% sure. Have you ever felt this way? Any piece of advice for figuring out who I am is much appreciated. Thank you~ (*hug*)

#1 LindseyF123, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    It doesn't sound like you're really attracted to guys at all, unless you're just too awkward around them to realize it... I remember that when I first started thinking I was bi I went through a little period of time where I wasn't attracted to girls in the least. I would be careful about your mom - she may be one of those people who somehow thinks "you're not old enough to know"...

3. Queero

Congrats on joining!

Well, to me it seems like you could be bi, because you say that you are attracted to boys. But you have a definite attraction to girls as well.

The best advice I can offer is to explore that. Don't feel like you have to have a label right this second. Even though it would be nice, I know.

4. bigspeakers

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I think you just might be a lesbian, not a bi. My advice is just think this trough. I think after that you can find yourself as a lesbian because you just think that is normal to be with guy and that's why you're trying to think that you wan't to be with a guy. But I'm not an wise owl, so just think about this all, and I'm sure you're gonna find the answer.

5. Oh Lilac

Welcome! :slight_smile: It is possible you are bisexual. It also could be that you are just a lesbian. I'm going through this same thing myself. In my life (I am 33), I have always loved men romantically, but not really sexually. I'm with a female now and feel so much more sexually. If you feel more for women, then stick with them, because it sounds like that would bring you the most happiness. If you happen to meet a guy who gives you those same butterflies, both emotionally and sexually, then maybe you are bi. This is something that may take time to figure out. I wish I knew the answer myself, and maybe someone can give better advice. I still wish you lots of love and happiness! :slight_smile:

As for your mom, maybe she is just scared or doesn't know how to respond. You say she supports others which is wonderful, but when it hits home, that might take getting used to for some parents. Don't let her initial reaction be your deciding factor. You should listen to your own heart and tell her when you are ready.