1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi people: Is "Turning straight" a thing? My boyfriend broke up with me saying that.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Snollygoster, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Snollygoster

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, so my boyfriend broke up with me today (we're both guys, I'm gay and he's bi). We've been together for a month so it wasn't too serious, but we had a meaningful connection. And he has always been the one taking us to the next level, between asking me out, our first kiss, and talking (not in a "horny" way) about sex. I'd also confidently say that he loved me more than I liked him. But this weekend he suddenly drifted away and today he ended us saying something like, "Since Friday I've been losing my interest in guys and I think I'm having hormonal changes and I only really like girls", when before that he'd tell me that when he's with a guy he only really likes guys and same with girls. I always thought it was impossible for someone's sexuality to change like that, so is he lying or using that as an excuse? Or have any of you experienced anything like this? He swears he hasn't met anybody else but what he's saying makes no sense. Any advice? I'm so heart-broken, he went from sooo dedicated and invested in me to basically nothing..
    Thanks!

#1 Snollygoster, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Bi people: Is "Turning straight" a thing? My boyfriend broke up with me saying th

Maybe he's bisexual! It's possible for their attractions to change over time, also known as sexual fluidity. Of course, there's probably a lot more than that.

3. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: Bi people: Is "Turning straight" a thing? My boyfriend broke up with me saying th

This is what you do. Without moving your head, first look up at the ceiling, then slowly move your gaze toward the upper right corner of the ceiling. Practice this movement several times until you become good at it, because this is the appropriate response when someone tells you that they 'turned straight' over the course of a weekend.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

That's some serious bullshit. As bisexuals we've never turned straight.

What is that shit??? :frowning2:

5. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I totally agree with this. However, from what you wrote, he didn't say he turned straight right? He said right now he is only attracted to girls. That is possible that his attraction can fluctuate as a bisexual. He may be attracted to guys again in the future. Well... it's not actually that your attraction to one gender ever fully goes away but rather you might desire the other gender more at a certain point in time then flip back to desiring the other gender more again. However, it is very strang that his feelings changed so quickly... I think I would call bs... but idk...

6. Ashleigh16

I don't know. I mean i don't always get the same feelings around guys and girls although I think I'm bi but I always feel at least a little attraction to both and thats coming from someone who once believed it was all a sin

7. dutchwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Maybe he was bi-curious, not bisexual; but even with that, his behavior does not make much sense.

8. guitar

Reading your story, I'm kind of with dutchwaffles: perhaps he's bi-curious and figured out he wasn't as attracted to males as thought. This is one possibility anyways. There are many others; maybe he's not yet ready to come to terms with being attracted to males? Or it might be his way of trying to end the relationship without making you feel bad? Usually sexuality doesn't just up-and-change like that, but it can.

A similar story happened to a friend of mine. He's gay, his boyfriend was bi and his boyfriend up and dumped him saying "I just don't feel any spark toward guys. I do romantically, but not sexually." His bf has since been married to a girl for several years and claims his attractions to guys were just a phrase / curiosity. So who knows?

9. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Indeed. I don't have a partner at present, so I'm free to lust / pine for either guys or girls at present. But I also know deep down that, whether I end up with a guy, or a girl, that I will either be a bisexual with a boyfriend, or, a bisexual with a girlfriend. I don't 'turn gay' when I'm interested in a guy, and I don't 'turn straight' when I'm interested in a girl. I am bisexual at all times. That's it.

Getting a bit fed up with some folks not understanding what it means to be bisexual, to be honest. Sigh.

10. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

He sounds like a flake regardless of his sexuality. Be glad it happened now, and not after you'd gone down the path of loving him.

Cut him off and move on.

11. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

just an observation, but maybe he picked up on this and decided that there was no future here and moved on. you also stated he was the one trying to advance the relationship, if he felt that he was doing the "heavy lifting" and you were not he may, also, have decided there was no future. like i said, just an observation i am, obviously not in either of your heads or hearts.

just to add; "turning straight" isn't a thing, but some Bi people do choose to live a Hetro life for various reasons. I did because i hid my attraction for men so deep that i hid it from myself.

#11 looking for me, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  12. candyjiru

It sounds like he was either bicurious like a few commenter said, or he needed an excuse to break up and thought this wouldn't hurt your feelings because there would be nothing you could have done to prevent it?

But yeah... bi and pan people don't turn one way or the other... it's people like him who make polysexuals sound wishy-washy and confused >.>

Also, I hope you're holding up well after the break up ♡ sending lots of good energy your way ^.^

13. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Ha! Yes, this exactly. Perfect answer. :slight_smile:

14. badluckfairy

It sounds like he is confused about his sexuality and isn't sure what he is. He is possibly bi curious.

15. Reptillian

Nature brain changes leading to changes of sexual orientation is certainly not out of the realm of possibility as far as researches go. There was a man who was over 40 years old, and he identified as homosexual for all those years until his 2nd stroke which leads him to become heterosexual, and he was uncomfortable with the changes though he wanted to identify as bisexual instead even if he doesn't have an attraction to men anymore after that stroke. It's not unconceivable that one could experience a slower form of this without experiencing a stroke as brain do and can change. I would doubt one's sexual orientation changing being fast without something as extreme as a stroke though.

16. HelloSweetie

That sounds like fluidity to me, I didn't realise a changes could be so dramatic like that though!