1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to not feel emotional attraction until you're older?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by bubbles123, Apr 20, 2015.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm sixteen years old and right now I just kind of feel incapable of liking someone emotionally right now. And I've never seriously liked anyone before either. Does this mean I will always feel this way since most people start getting in relationships much sooner than me? Is it possible/normal for some people to not have a real crush on anyone until a bit later in life, like say in college?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before somebody jumps in and tells you you're likely some unrecognized sexual identity... the most likely situation here, which is very, very likely, is that you're just blooming a little bit late.

There are lots of people who don't really experience sexual attraction until their late teens or even early 20s. And there are plenty of others who, for various reasons, don't feel emotions very strongly, usually because of the environment in which they were raised.

It's nothing to worry about, it's very common, it's entirely normal, and I think you'll find that as you continue through your day-to-day, one of these days you'll find yourself feeling differently. :slight_smile:

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Thank you I really needed to hear that!(*hug*)

4. BlazingRose

I'm a late bloomer having just turned 20 and I wasn't really interested in being in a relationship at all up until earlier this year. This desire started soon after I really started to come to terms with the fact that I liked girls to some degree. Can't say I have ever had a legitimate crush either. Like Chip said, you're probably a late bloomer and I wouldn't stress over it. You're not alone and I am sure there are others. (*hug*)

5. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Thank you!(*hug*)

6. Seagypsy

Emotional attraction really only comes when you meet someone you just get on really well with, and somewhere between the chatting and laughing with them, you suddenly start feeling more for them. I was 21 when I first felt that so you're certainly not late! x