1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asexual or hetero-romantic? Advice from a professional is appreciated.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by tRex37, Apr 26, 2015.

1. tRex37

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    At a young age when I first hit puberty I recall being sexually attracted to girls. I went through a bi-curiosity phase as most early teens do, but by the time I was about halfway through high school I'd determined with enough confidence that I was straight and attracted to women/girls. Since I was in my mid-teens however I've had a difficult time feeling sexual attraction altogether. I had virtually no interest in sexual activity and to this day I'm still a virgin. I can feel sexual attraction, but only when I have strong emotional attachment or romantic connections to the person - a female. Therefore I'm relatively sure I'm not homosexual, as I'm not attracted to men, but I don't feel 100% straight for my difference in attraction. Should I consider seeing a therapist at this point?

2. ApexxShadow

Maybe your a hetero-romantic Demisexual/Graysexual? Do whatever feels right, and don't pressure yourself into a label :slight_smile:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

You are almost certainly not a hetero-romantic demisexual/graysexual or any of the 100000000 other unrecognized labels that nobody credible in the psychology or sexology fields gives any credence to. Adopting one of those labels will in no way be helpful to you.

You are a normal person who is exploring who he is and trying to understand where your attractions lie.

Yes, this is something best explored with a therapist. You clearly aren't asexual (at least, not in the proper use of the term) and most likely, since you've felt sexual attraction before, but never wanted to act on it, there's something else going on... most commonly, something that's keeping you from being fully in touch with your emotions.

This is something a therapist can definitely help with.

4. tRex37

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you Chip, I appreciate your input. It means a lot. I'll definitely consider seeing a professional.