1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual orientation identity

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by vicky90, Apr 27, 2015.

1. vicky90

Hey everyone,

Has anyone heard about the term "Sexual orientation identity".? More importantly - how is it related to our journey of acceptance for an LGBT person.?
    Quick google pointed to Wiki - Sexual orientation identity
    It would be great if someone can throw light on this topic from their personal knowledge / experience..

I have been looking for labels to identify myself and the obsession makes me crazy! I get confused between Homoflexible (also known as mostly gay, bisexual with pref for guys, etc..) and Gay.
    For me personally, Homoflexible or "mostly" gay seems genuine but it will difficult to relate it with "normal" society where simple "gay" might be more easily be understood by our society who is not educated enough about sexuality. But then again, "gay" makes me feel like I am lying as I do not have zero attraction towards girls. I don't know this will ever end.....!!!

P.S. Heteronormative environment may have created it difficult to simply accept myself as gay regardless of exact attraction levels.

#1 vicky90, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. Lyana

Sexual identity, of course yes. Sexual orientation identity, however, I'd never heard of. I'd have assumed it's the same thing, but from your link:
    So that's what you're talking about -- identifying as "gay" when you don't feel it fits perfectly? I actually think many people on EC do that, for simplicity's sake.

In your case, "gay" will get the point across more quickly. It would be annoying having to define "homoflexible" all the time, I'm sure. I think "mostly gay" would work, though: how can someone misunderstand that?

I suppose it also depends on whether you'd be willing to date girls. If not, calling yourself gay is a lot more practical, but if you think you could possibly meet a girl and find her attractive enough to date, then it would be annoying to have the explain that to people. Or to have her think you're gay.

3. vicky90

Thanks for your reply ! Glad you have heard the term..

Yes, I also feel that simplicity of "gay" will make it easy to get the point across more easily without trouble of explaining sexuality spectrum to everyone but then why guilt.? May be still a desire of heteronormative life or inability to accept women curiosity being gay predominantly or both - I am stuck..

For dating - I am honestly not sure if I am willing to date girls in future for my whole life. I may or may not. At this particular moment - I am more than willing to date a nice guy and see where it goes (including having a partner)

I don't know if and when I will be finally fully comfortable with any sexual identity..