1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Music Girl, May 2, 2015.

1. Music Girl

Music Girl Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been questioning my sexuality for about a year and a half, and I'm wondering about something. I think I'm gay, but I really have no idea. I have a couple of questions.

1. If you're questioning your sexuality, does it mean for sure that you're not straight?

2. Is it possible to convince yourself you're gay? And I don't mean permanently. I mean that maybe I'm overthinking it, and the moments I'm sure that I'm gay is just me trying to be sure of my sexuality in general.

3. Is there any way that I only started questioning because I saw so many gay couples on TV and stuff?

I feel like... Maybe I'm convincing myself that I'm gay just so that I can say that I'm sure, that I have an identity. And maybe I only started questioning because gay people are in the media now. How can I even know, especially when I have no means of experimenting?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Music Girl,

Considering that we live in a society where being straight is viewed as "standard", then i think it is safe to say that questioning your sexuality can be a strong indicator that you aren't straight, but not a certainty.

Thinking that you are maybe convincing yourself that you are gay is a pretty good indicator that you are in denial about it.
    Think about who you are attracted to. Do it slowly, calmly, don't rush it. Do you like men? Women?

3. Music Girl

Music Girl Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That makes a lot of sense. But, the problem is, heteronormativity isn't all that plays into it, I think. I mean, people are a lot more accepting than they were 50 years ago, and my parents are super open about it. (I'm 15.) I haven't told them, because I want to be absolutely sure. But it would be totally fine if I was actually gay, and there would be no repercussions.

4. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really don't think seeing gay couples in the media would make someone start questioning all by itself. Maybe the person might feel more comfortable questioning because they know there are other gay people out there, but plenty of straight people see the same media and don't do any serious questioning because of it.

(I'm not saying I know for sure what's going on with you, because of course I don't. But I don't think it's coming from media.)

5. Music Girl

Music Girl Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Okay. Thank you!

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Well, you can think about it this way:

Do you find women attractive? Could you see yourself in a relationship with a woman? Kissing, having sex?
    Do you find men attractive? Could you... relationship, sex?

If the answer to the first is yes, and the second is no, you're likely gay. If the answer is yes to both, you are likely bi.
    If your answers are 'yes' with women and 'yes, but not as much' with men, you are likely homoflexible.
    And so on and so forth.

Hope that helps, xoxo <3

7. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Triflow.

Just remember to take it slowly, and don't rush yourself to answer these questions. Take your time to think :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 3rd May 2015 at 01:10 PM ----------

I agree with Triflow.

Just remember to take it slowly, and don't rush yourself to answer these questions. Take your time to think :slight_smile: