1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does it take to figure it out?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by IcarusRising, May 3, 2015.

1. IcarusRising

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    :grin:Hi guys! So A couple years back I figured out that I was bisexual but more recently I've come to realize that I'm actually lesbian. I've only known for a few months and I feel like I've got it mostly figured out, and I really want to tell my family. But I don't think I can until I am completely sure of myself. They're very conservative and if I don't have it completely figured out they won't believe me(they may not believe me either way)but it won't be as legitimate to them. I know but it takes time to figure it out and that each person is different. But I need to tell them by the end of the summer or at least before they figure it out because they're starting to figure it out. So basically my question is how long did it take for you to figure out your sexuality and do you have any advice?

#1 IcarusRising, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. MetalRice

It personally took me about two years of fighting with myself to internally to finally accept the fact that I was bisexual, it was a grueling process; but when I finally accepted it I felt so relieved and well.... better about myself as a whole.

As for advice, all I can say is that don't rush into coming out unless you feel comfortable about your sexuality and feel comfortable about telling your family.

3. sedgeling

I mean, it's different for everybody, but for me it took me a year and a half to really come to terms with how I was and be comfortable with it. I'm with MetalRice, just don't rush anything. However, given you don't have much of that according to you wanting to do it before the end of the summer, just make sure when you do tell them that it is on your terms. Be in the position that you want to be, and just do it at the time you want to. Don't let anybody force you into it.

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A year for me to finally settle on being gay. Everyone goes at their own pace, so don't put too much stress on it.

5. UniversalLover

I first thought I was bi, then realized I was pansexual, then realized I might be transgender, then accepted that I am pangender. So I ended up settling with pangender and pansexual. I feel like those labels accurately represent my true self.

When the time is right, you'll know. You just have to live your life with an open mind and as you experience different situations, be conscious of how you react, pay attention to what makes you feel good and whole, and what makes you feel bad and incomplete.

Follow your emotions, whatever brings you joy and bliss is whatever is in harmony with your true nature.

6. RedLynx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had been in and out of the closet for 8 years. First I came out as bi to a couple of friends, and then went back in and living in denial (as straight) for 5 years, then I came out as bi again last year before accepting that I am lesbian just recently. Just take your time :slight_smile:

#6 RedLynx, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015