1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone come out to religious parents?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by starlights, May 11, 2015.

1. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you did, what happened? Are you happy with your decision? Has your relationship with your family changed?

I haven't yet, and to be honest I'm terrified to do it. My parents are hardcore Catholics, the type of people who are woefully offended every time there's a new gay character on TV or a news item about civil rights. They say things like "the gays are shoving their sexual orientation down our throats" and talk about the mythical, ambiguous "gay lifestyle" that's ruining America. They feigned outrage over that stupid wedding pizza story that was in the news recently, and fret over the pope being "misunderstood by the mainstream media" when he talks about tolerance.

So yeah. THAT level of crazy. Has anyone else dealt with that?

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yea i came out to Muslim parents about my sexual orientation (not gender, yet) first as bi then gay it went okay, they had some misconceptions but all in all it worked out

3. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ja, two Catholic parents. One hardcore, one not so much. It's "worked out" but there is a lot of work to be done still. If you can, find the one that is easiest to talk to. Have a plan, be confident, prepare yourself, do it at your own pace (allow the time you need comfortably). The best of luck to you, you've got this. If anything arises, remember, it's your life. Your parents will be dead and gone leaving you with a life of your choice and design!

4. MetalRice

My mom is a fairly religious Southern Protestant, and I came out to her; she took it pretty well.

5. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

nope...

they death threat me 4 years ago

i dont want to die yet

6. annabeth chase

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, mine are Catholics too. They weren't overjoyed... But they didn't disown me or anything so that's good. They seem to be coping with it through denial at the moment; they'll still say boyfriend, husband etc when talking about my future to me. And I know it's not a slip of the tongue, so it's just awkward and I haven't said anything.
    It wasn't a great experience at the time, but in hindsight I'm glad i did it. At least they know now, and hopefully in time they'll become more accepting. I don't regret it.

7. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    Nice job at coming out to religious parents everybody. It sure ain't easy. I hope nobody's parents took it that badly. My heart goes out to you, sartorious. :hug:

I came out to my mum who's extremely religious, and comes from an area not so far from where Jesus was actually born. She accepted it wholeheartedly.

8. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    That would be my dad, I think. He's generally more easygoing and won't put my on a guilt trip and cause drama like my mom. But I don't think I can tell him and ask him to keep it to himself. :frowning2: Pretty sure he'd tell my mom, if not right away. At least he wouldn't go nuclear on me right then and there. I think.

I'm terrified of telling my mom, or her finding out some other way. It would destroy our relationship. She would make it about her and "How can you do this to me?" and then the fire and brimstone would come out, all the stuff about what I'm doing to my soul and how it's a huge sin to "act on it." Just the thought of that conversation...it really does terrify me. She's overbearing and I know she'd probably ask me if I "acted on it" which is so uncomfortable to think about. Like there would be one level of epic disappointment and drama for coming out, then a whole other level if she thinks I've been sexually active with women. (I haven't.) But can you imagine getting that question from your mom? Actually maybe you can.

Then if she hasn't disowned me by that point, she would probably put me on a guilt trip about not getting married and having kids. I actually want to have kids, but she would probably be even more angry if I said that because, you know, I'd be raising her future grandchildren in sin and "the gay lifestyle."

I admire that you've come out with Catholic parents and I can't even imagine how much courage that must have taken. I just...ugh! I can't.

I'm glad they took it somewhat well, that they didn't disown you. That's still kind of hostile to just pretend it never happened and carry on like you're straight...but a lot better than how it could have turned out.

So...it sounds like they still talk to you, yeah? Are they otherwise OK with you?

9. bi2me

When I'm believing in G-d, I try to remind myself that we are all created in It's image. G-d is more encompassing than people can imagine, so given that being GLBT isn't *hurting* someone, I can't see the conflict. (As opposed to pedophilia which sometimes people compare, but which does serious harm to another person)

10. annabeth chase

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, they still talk to me and we're mostly okay these days :slight_smile: good luck if you do go for it, hopefully after the initial shock your parents come around. Best wishes xx

11. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's funny you mentioned that, it was the most bizarre thing hearing my father ask me about it. I haven't been sexually active because I hadn't sorted my feelings out completely. (still working on it too :slight_smile: ) My mother is coming to terms with it much faster and I can go to her for discussion when I need it. All of the other stuff with religion is going to be anticipated with religious parents. It's important to stand your ground and value your own beliefs. Don't be afraid to do some thinking about it; you have to be open-minded but honest with yourself. It was the most nerve-racking thing for me, but it's been my greatest achievement as well.

Another mistake was telling my family before my friends. I had told only a few friends before coming out to my father. My father is religious and pretty much thinks I'm going to hell, and he's been a major influence in my life so it tore me apart for a while upon coming out and hearing that response.I recommend you find those who you trust and love you for you, no matter what, and surround yourself with them before you do anything family related. Plus, you have this fabulous community here on EC, including myself, that'll be there if your down :slight_smile:, another resource I didn't have at the time.