1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apparently I'm open minded

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Jax12, May 13, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is linked to my other thread (which can be found here).

It's odd why I realized this now, but I am very open minded but about a lot of things, and some people have also said that I'm very open minded about my sexuality (which is true, seeing that I wished to be Kinsey 6 which is apparently not something people have hear very often).

So my question is would open minded individuals be more common in bisexuals/pansexuals? I realized recently that it doesn't matter what your orientation is because it's something you can't change anyways.

Could being open minded be one of the key reasons as to why I keep shifting back and forth?

2. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Im a raging Pansexual
    I like to think Im open minded.
    I understand gay, lesbian, transgender, bi and I understand those that have issues with anyone that is not straight.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's less likely that it's because you're open minded. I think most people who are LGBT are at least somewhat openminded.

The pattern in all of your posts is pretty consistent: you don't seem comfortable "closing the door" to being heterosexual, which is something most people going through the process of acceptance experience. And so you keep coming up with different explanations/justifications/reasons -- something that's also pretty common for people who are, basically, clinging desperately to the hope they can still end up with an opposite-sex partner -- and so I think that's more likely the cause of the back-and-forth.

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually quite comfortable with not being with the opposite sex, so you've completely misinterpreted all my posts. I am open to whatever I may be. I think if you've spoken to me in real life you would understand, because really I don't have a problem with being gay. I do, however, have a problem with having opposite sex attractions.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, then. :slight_smile:

6. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool

7. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

I know I'm open minded, but I've met gays who had a very narrow world view, and this is evidenced by posts here as well.

Discounting or following things without seriously taking a look at what is going on.

Just my thoughts, I think if you took an accurate survey you would find roughly the same distribution of open minded/close minded individuals as the "straight" population.

8. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to think that if I'm happier with a guy, then it is what it is.

9. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm starting to be more open-minded with regards to dating but I know I would prefer to be with a girl.

10. Scifiguy338

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its the same with me. I'm quite open minded. And I'm not afraid of being gay. It wouldn't bother me if I don't end up with an opposite sex partner. But the fact is, I'm not completely gay but not ''straight'' enough to easily survive in a heterosexual life.
    I have friends who are just as open minded, describing a similar experience to me but the opposite- they prefer the other gender, but sometimes the same gender is attractive or they get beyond platonic feelings for. My friends said they are 'in between straight and bi' for example. To me that is very open minded.

It is true that heteronormativity pressures us to fancy and desire to be with the opposite sex, and may cause many gays to cling to having some 'straightness.' But the fact that my friends are open enough to admit some same sex attraction means heteronormativity is certainly not as strongly tied to my generation in Australia compared to other places and generations. Thank goodness.

#10 Scifiguy338, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  11. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ I agree with you. I'm open but at the same time, my attraction to girls is so strong that if I dated a guy, after a while it would feel like something was missing.