1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conditioned or is the real attraction to opposite sex?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Jax12, May 16, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you know if you're attractions for the opposite sex have been conditioned by the heteronormative society or if they are true attractions?

2. I don't think it matters. If you're attracted, you're attracted. You feel it physically. Doesn't matter if it's conditioned or not. Now if you're telling yourself you find someone attractive without actually feeling anything, that's when it may be conditioned.

3. LD579

It might help to make statements and see if you feel they're true or not. For example, because I live in a society where breasts are valued, I've been drawn to breasts. This did make me think I was straight or bisexual when I was younger, until I wondered exactly why it was that I liked them.

These are the questions I had asked myself way back:
    Do I find breasts sexually arousing? No.
    Do I find them aesthetically pleasing to look at? Yes.
    -Why is this? Likely because society places a large emphasis on breasts in media and advertising.
    Do I want to touch them for a romantic or sexual purpose? No.

That kind of method helped me make sense of a large part of how I'm not romantically/sexually attracted to women.

If this kind of method and questioning doesn't work, I'd suggest just going with the flow and seeing what feels right and what doesn't, because otherwise you run the risk of falling into this trap where you overanalyze and over-think these things, complicating them when they don't necessarily have to be that way. It can become an impossible rhetoric to combat because you can justify many things in many ways, and if you catch yourself in such a cycle, it really would be best to limit cyclical thinking and find a way to keep grounded and in the moment, up to and including therapy if you can't break it and obsess over it. Note that I'm not saying you're obsessing over it, but this is a general answer for many kinds of cases. Hopefully that helps.

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great suggestions guys, thanks. I will not overthink or over analyze it, and just go with the flow.

5. doc

doc

Good advice. It brings up the nature/nurture age-old question. But you've got a good answer right there - go with the flow and if it feels fake and forced - go with another flow....

6. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All attractions seem like they're conditioned to some extent.