1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inner voice versus anxiety

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by sunshine12345, May 17, 2015.

1. sunshine12345

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi all, I'm 31, female, and have been questioning my sexual orientation on and off for years. Sometimes I think I might be a lesbian (I can identify early childhood same-sex thoughts, am attracted to some women, and sometimes dream about women), but then I wind up meeting and falling in love with men, for whom I feel a very real and undeniable physical attraction to men. For years I have internally accepted that I am bisexual, and I have never done anything with a woman.

However, my inner voice sometimes says that I am a lesbian, and I feel that this thought is starting to sabotage my current relationship (with a man) or would in the future if I ever pursued anything with a woman.

I feel like my same sex attractions are cyclical, but then I start to wonder if I am just repressing the truth about myself. But how could I be deeply attracted/aroused by some men if that is the case? Of course, I feel like this anxiety is making me less attracted to my current partner, perpetuating the cycle...Has anyone struggled with these issues?

A lot of coming out stories I read are specific to people who are lesbians, and I'm wondering how bisexuals can find peace with their identity. I tend to see things about my life in black and white, so naturally this is driving me bonkers!

Sidebar: I will say I recently realized (with a therapist) that I have anxiety issues/obsessive thinking that goes beyond this one issue, and I am prone to catastrophic thinking.

2. popcorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I could have written this post word for word. I have been with guys and have been very happy. Other people have been doubting me, which makes me doubt myself. It's a bit of a vicious circle.

I'm not sure what advice to give as I'm currently questioning myself.

It might help if you think about who you want to be with- sexually and romantically.

3. sunshine12345

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks-- helps to know that I'm not the only one out there! Good luck to you.