1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are you supposed to know what you're feeling?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by juno14, May 20, 2015.

1. juno14

I know this is a typical and boring question but thanks for reading anyway :slight_smile:
    Basically, I really don't understand how you know you if are attracted to someone etc. I'm a teenage girl and not sure what my sexuality is, like I kissed a girl and thought it felt really nice but I don't know how to tell if I thought it felt nice like a hug or nice romantically. Or, at the moment I really like watching interviews or looking up pictures of Ellen Page, I have no idea if this is just because she's really awesome or because I find her attractive and stuff. I had a boyfriend when I was younger and liked that but that may just be because I liked the idea of a relationship I honestly don't know. I get all these obsessions with female actresses a lot but have always assumed this to be a symptom of my mild Aspergers. That might also by why I find it so hard to know who I'm attracted to, I'm not sure.
    Anyway, sorry for going on and on and does anyone have advice? :icon_bigg:icon_wink

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Figuring out what you're feeling and whether or not you're attracted to someone can be very hard. Sorry I don't have a very good answer to you as I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out myself. But the best advice I can give you would be to not over-think things. I find that when I'm thinking "Am I attracted to them? How bout that person? Do I just like that person as a friend or something more?, etc. " It actually makes it harder to figure out, but then when I'm not over-thinking it sometimes I'll be attracted to someone and I'll notice it more because it catches me off-guard. So basically, just try to feel and let things happen rather than thinking about them. If you do that, you may start to notice what you're naturally feeling more. I hope this helps!

3. juno14

Thank you so much, that really helps a lot :icon_bigg

4. ash7852

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey,

I completely relate to what you mean it is a difficult question to answer. I loved what bubbles wrote because that is so true. Personally for myself when i first started talking to my friend who's also a girl, I was like oh ok friends etc. then I thought wait is she Flirtingg with me and I kept grinning ridiculously at her messages. At first I kept thinking incessantly does she like me am I know bisexual for liking her? Just completely freaking out to be hones having not felt this way before.
    But since finding this place to talk and express my situation I have gained advice and support to just let the relationship go instead of over analyzing everything. If if feels comfortable to you great. I think this will help you understand who you are attracted to instead of figuring it out with your mind alone....like they say just follow your heart and gut :slight_smile:

For me these past few days I have just let my guard down and talked to her freely without questioning every little thing...and it's showing me that how I always thought I was straight as a nail really may not be the case :slight_smile:

Best of luck I know it's challeging trying to figure it all out....need anything drop me. Lone! :slight_smile:

5. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to figure out what your feelings mean if anxiety gets in the way for example. And truth be told, it takes a while to figure out your feelings and finally be okay with them.

Whether it's a couple months, a year, or a couple years, everyone will go through self discovery at their own pace. Don't be so hard on yourself for something you can't change.

6. juno14

Thank you so much this is really helpful :slight_smile: good luck to you too and thanks! (*hug*)

---------- Post added 20th May 2015 at 09:49 PM ----------

This is great thanks very much :icon_bigg