1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard to be bisexual

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by suchconfusion, May 24, 2015.

1. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Does anyone find it really troubling to call themselves bisexual? Lots of people are probably perfectly comfortable with it, but I just find it very very stressful. For me, its more of an umbrella thing because I orient the most closely to that...? But, I mean, the preference fluctuations kill me because I CONSTANTLY doubt myself. Is this the flux everyone talks about or am I actually just really confused about what I am?

I've liked girls for a while, but I noticed my inclination towards females is fading but then my hetero feels aren't spiking up either. I just wonder sometimes if I'm in denial about being something else or if that's just how it is sometimes.

And I feel like bisexuals are harder to come by, where I am atleast, so I don't have many buddies to confide in and ask. Does anyone else just find this really troubling? More so than if you were strictly hetero/homosexual? Thank ya guys :slight_smile:

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I keep going back and forth like you've mentioned. However I find that in the end of the day, my attractions lean much more towards men, so I just identify as gay now. It's my way of letting people know who I'm interested in when it comes to dates and relationships. It's much less forced when compared to women.

3. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wish :< I actually have zero idea whihc gender I prefer. I'm closer to asexual than bisexual maybe, but part of me really knows I'm not asexual or bi so it's just a hot mess

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It usually starts off like that when you start questioning; a hot mess. It'll get better in time, these things cannot be rushed, as I've come to realize.

5. bi2me

I find that reading about sex and relationships can help me wrap my head around what I think I might really want. Do you have safe access to books about being bi/lesbian?

6. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

I don't find in troubling at all. A month ago I was leaning towards guys. Now I'd prefer to have a girlfriend. It does not change quickly.
    I don't doubt myself, because I know that I can be attracted to both sexes, and that my preferences tend to change. I can only speak for myself, because everyone is individual, but for me it's most certainly not denial. And I can see that you might be pressured by baseless ideas like "you have to choose" and "bisexuality is always just a phase" and such.
    I know it can be stressful, I had these doubts too when I realized I wasn't straight. It would be easier if I were totally straight or totally gay, because there wouldn't be an inner voice that asks "what if your preference changes when you're with a person?".

7. Lyana

Hi suchconfusion. Seems to me like your struggles aren't that "it's hard to be bisexual," but that you're not sure about your orientation and don't feel comfortable calling yourself bisexual. If it weren't for that, I can assure you -- there's nothing particularly difficult about being bi.

Fluctuating desire and periods of higher interest in one gender over the others isn't that rare among bisexual people. Bisexuality is not necessarily being attracted to men and women equally all the time. I'm sure you know that, so why are you so stressed about this? What do you honestly think about your orientation?

8. woahthatsboring

It's not so much troubling but very confusing lol. I have to say, one day I'm attracted to females more the next males... My ultimate attraction lies with whoever I feel the strongest pull to. The label actually feels like "me", if you're having a hard time relating to the label you may just be putting extra pressure on yourself or you could possibly not be bisexual. But remember being bisexual means you are attracted to more than one gender. Can you say that? Before, I was in the denial stage and told people that I couldn't be bisexual because I was more attracted to men but I could fall in love with whoever. That was my contradiction. Look deep is all I have to say. My bisexuality is new to me but I think I've experienced it for awhile and if you accept that your attractions can be fluid, you'll live life easier, trust me :slight_smile: good luck!