1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Relationships & Sexual Orientation

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Umami, May 29, 2015.

1. Umami

Out Status:
    Family only
    Is it possible to definitely know that you're gay (or at least not straight) from an online relationship? The only lesbian relationship I've been in was online, but it was the happiest and most fulfilling relationship I've ever been in. I've dated lots of guys online and in person, but those relationships are nowhere near as good as the lesbian relationship I'd been in. I actually use that relationship as a way to determine if my other relationships are working or not (and they're always faulty somehow).

Whenever I mention this to people, they always try to discredit the lesbian relationship. I've even heard someone (a therapist) say that maybe the girl just "convinced" me I wasn't straight. This really upsets me. I know what I felt! It was passionate and loving and something I've never experienced with anyone else and something I hope to experience again. I can actually say that I'm still not completely over her even though it's been years. I mean is it *really* possible that I don't actually like women?

2. Spacewalker

Ofc it's 'possible'. What is not possible?
    But I'd not ask myself that. I'd ask myself am I straight and if the answer is 'no' to that, then it's pretty possible you're actually gay.
    That's kind of confusing I just noticed. I wouldn't question the obvious. For me it sounds that you are a huge fan of women:wink:

3. Lyana

It's possible to know your orientation without any relationship at all (just looking at your attractions to and feelings for people). You sound pretty convinced you're into women. In that case, don't let what other people say convince you otherwise: you know yourself better than we do.

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually realized I'm into women after falling for a lesbian I was following on twitter, and it even wasn't a relationship, so it's absolutely possible. Like you said you know what you felt so please don't let anyone to tell you otherwise. Moreover, you don't even need to be in a relationship to know who you like. (*hug*)

5. Umami

Out Status:
    Family only
    That's actually where I am right now. I just recently came out as "not straight" to my family by accident. lol And that's when my mom asked me how sure I could be about my sexuality. =/ I think she's in denial.

---------- Post added 30th May 2015 at 12:24 PM ----------

Yeah, I always figure that other people know themselves better than I do, so I try to respect the way they identify even if I don't understand it myself. I just hope that other people will do the same for me.

---------- Post added 30th May 2015 at 12:34 PM ----------

I actually realized that I might be a lesbian rather than bisexual after seeing a sexual video on tumblr posted by a girl that I had a crush on (but didn't know). I immediately broke up with my then-boyfriend after that. Everything became all too clear to me. >.> So yeah.. I guess I shouldn't be doubting myself then. lol

6. nicodiangelo

Out Status:
    A few people
    just go with whatever you feel