1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A general survey/question for other bisexuals? C:

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by waternation, May 30, 2015.

1. waternation

waternation Guest

Heya :smilewave

Lately I've been wondering if it's more common for bisexuals to have an even attraction towards both sexes, towards the opposite sex, or the same?

From different places online I've heard all three said is more "common" and seeing as I don't know a lot of bisexuals irl, I was wondering which was really more common.

So, what would best describe you? Just out of curiousity :rolle:frowning2:*hug*)

2. Lyana

Interesting!
    I think some bisexuals with a strong preference for the opposite sex might not even realize they're bisexual. That said, I would say it's more common to have at least a slight preference, but that is a completely non-scientific guess.

As for me personally, I identify as having no preference and a pretty even attraction.

3. waternation

waternation Guest

Oh, that's a really good point! Yeah, if there is a major opposite-sex preference combined with the societal pressures to conform that may be true for some people! (even I was like this for a while and my attraction towards the same gender is quite strong) Also, I noticed you have 'pan' as your orientation, I hope you don't mind me asking, but is it possible to be pan and still have a strong preference? I label as bi with a strong preference, but am also attracted to people outside of the binary too, but felt iffie using 'pan' because of having a strong preference for the same gender rather than the opposite? Isn't pan more of a gender-blind, equal attraction? Or am I wrong on this :confused: Hum, maybe I will make this into another question topic entirely :rolle: Thanks for your thoughts!^^ (*hug*)

4. kloulou

kloulou Guest

I thought I was bisexual for a few years. I'm still debating whether I am bi or lesbian atm.
    But from my experience, at least last year when I was definitely bi, I found it a lot easier to be with guys. Although, I think this is because there is a lot of pressure on people in high school to go out with the opposite sex. Also, at this time, I was around girls who wouldn't shut up about boys!

Maybe you could do a little research on the Kinsey scale. http://www.tuneinnotout.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/kinsey-scale.png

That pretty much explains it. Everyone is one that scale somewhere. Now I have a LOT of friends who are bi. They are usually in the Kinsey 1 or 2 (incidental homosexual behaviour and more than incidental homosexual behaviour)

So I guess my answer is every bisexual is different! It's easy to forget that a bisexual is on the Kinsey scale all the way from 1-5! Although I still believe there are a lot of pressure on people, especially in high school, to be more focussed on the opposite sex.

Hope this helps! Have a good day ^.^

5. Lyana

I would say pan just means you can be attracted to people of any gender, not that you're equally attracted to people of every gender, the same way that bi doesn't mean you're 50/50. I suppose some would disagree, but hell -- how do you measure "equal attraction" anyway? (I'm very interested in the idea of preference, actually. Like whether you're more strongly attracted to one gender, or more often attracted, or whatever...)
    And, obviously, bi people aren't necessarily only attracted to people within the gender binary. I prefer the term pan, but it's a personal choice.

6. josh91

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am bisexual, but I have very unusual tastes. I mostly like men who are feminine in appearance and behavior. I have some attraction to women who are masculine in appearance and behavior. I like feminine women physically but I have no emotional interest in them. And I don't like masculine men at all. I can't really but myself on the gay-leaning-bisexual, bisexual-bisexual, or straight-leaning-bisexual scale, I am just different.

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not even sure the question of "which Kinsey number is the mode" makes sense, since so many bisexuals have fluid sexuality, and their preferences fluctuate (in some cases wildly), either across their lifetime, across a 10-year span, across a given year, across a month, across a week, or even throughout the day.

The Kinsey 1 and 5 scores do have the additional complications that many people with those scores do choose to identify as straight or gay, since their preference for the sex is so low...or as someone has pointed out, they don't even realize (or don't realize until a much older age) that they are bisexual. On the other hand, there are also plenty of gay people who choose to identify as Kinsey 5's (or lower), because they feel that there is less stigma attached to being bisexual than to being gay. So basically, attempts to really study and learn anything significant about bisexuals is kinda inherently fucked. *sigh*

To genuinely try to get at the OP question, the 50/50 split is absolutely the bisexual stereotype, and is annoying to those of us who have a clear non-even preference, because we end up being misunderstood. But it's far from clear whether 50/50 is a stereotype because it's the majority, or whether it *appears* to be the majority because it's the stereotype (and therefore assumed of any given bisexual). Now if you listen to the crowd out there who says *everyone* is bisexual, and offers up the Bell Curve (which argument I flat out think is crap), then I guess you'd pretty much have to believe that 50/50 is the mode, because it would be at the center of the curve...but this does not seem to be my experience. Again, meh, any real attempts to study us are fraught.

If you just want to know what I am personally: Kinsey 4 (bisexual with slight preference for women).

8. yurifangrl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Im bisexual and for me its intersting because im married to a metrosexual man our roles are very reversed and i love it! Im also really attracted to women in everyway, so i gues for me i like women more but i happen to be married to a man, who is slightly effeminate

9. || Kheya ||

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have recently accepted the fact that I'm a bisexual but knew it for a long time. I am sexually attracted to male but find it really difficult to connect emotionally .. On the other hand, I am sexually as well as emotionally attracted to female ..

Strangely, someday I feel nothing for male & I'm like a complete lesbian and other day I'm like a complete straight person (no feeling for female at all, not a bit!) .. I have not figured out if anything is wrong with me but I'm sure of my sexuality as in both the cases (which ever 'mode' I'm going through :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) I feel completely fine with my feelings :slight_smile:

#9 || Kheya ||, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  10. ms24601

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think the only time I ever had a somewhat even attraction for both genders was when I began questioning, but after I started to think of myself as bisexual it has always been way more strong towards women.

11. Cynder

I like both, but am more attracted to the same gender (but opposite sex in my case), so i generally seem more attracted to men.