1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How will I know when I know?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by AsiaJ33, Jun 6, 2015.

1. AsiaJ33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been pretty certain I'm lesbian for a few months now, but how will I know that for sure? I don't want to come out as lesbian if I'm not actually lesbian. I am currently in a happy relationship with another female, though I have not had a first kiss with her (or anyone) yet (though I know we will soon) but my point is, how can I be sure? If I'm not lesbian, I'm most likely pan sexual. I know that I'm not straight. But I don't think I could be sexually attracted to anybody other than females. So maybe panromantic and homosexual? I don't know. But as of now, I feel as if lesbian is right. But I'm also young, I'm only 15. Also, I've only been questioning for a little less than a year. Before that I thought I was straight. So could that change it? Anyway, thanks in advance

#1 AsiaJ33, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  2. bi2me

You could just come out as 'not straight' which then includes lots of options as you figure it out. :slight_smile:

3. Broods

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think coming out is a process that involves a lot of internal and sometimes external exploration. You should try to not be so caught up in labels or having to stick to labels. I mean most of us are just assumed to be heterosexual by society from birth and we shed those labels. When I first came out I wasn't sure how to label myself but I knew I wasn't straight so I left it fairly open and told my best friend I fell on the spectrum somewhere between gay and straight. Of course since then, I have come out as a Lesbian and feel like it's a label that fits my sexuality well.

I think it's really great that you are in a happy relationship :slight_smile: I think being able to explore your feelings with this person will really help with how you identify. Do what feels right and be true to yourself - that's all you can really do. Eventually you may find a way to label yourself, or may not but I think at the end of the day the best label you can give yourself is happy. Happy with who you are and who you're with :slight_smile:

4. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    just gonna put this here:
    When I started thinking about being gay, I thought it was the first time I was actually realizing it etc. But now 2 years later, I can even find signs of when I was only 10 that I only liked guys, it seemed I just didn't see the signs. Like: I checked out boys, but never girls. Just didn't realize it.

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't start feeling very sure of myself until a few months after coming out. Coming out kind of forced me to be certain because people kept asking me if I was sure. :lol:

I knew I was certain when I considered it a simple fact of reality and didn't think of it as a complex thing, I guess.

6. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    people ask if you are sure because its hard for them to understand.
    Im BI, and I really can not understand how any male can look at a beautiful woman and not have at least a little bit of a desire to be with her.
    People can only really understand what is in their own mind.
    Its also why people end up making offensive comments to people that might be different then they are. They might not mean to, but in the end, they do.

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey try not to stress about it. This is a fear almost everyone goes through before they come out I know I did.
    I am going to give you a piece of advice that lots of people gave me before I was out and that I have seen given to lots of people. You will know when the time is right. Now before I was out I thought it was the most ridiculous bit of advice I mean how can you know, how can you go from not being ready to being ready and just know, what changes? I never thought I would be ready. I cant really tell you what changed but gradually I became ready and somehow I knew the time was right for me. The only way I can explain it is that the time is right when the fear of coming out is overpower or outweighed by the desire and need to come out. Its almost like the tipping of the scales and it only takes the desire to come out to get that little bit greater and you will know.

Is the thought that you might be wrong the only thing stopping you from coming out?

8. AsiaJ33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically, yeah. I mean, I'm mostly out right now, because I AM ready, so I started to come out. As of now, I'm pretty positive and I'm also confident but the jumble of "what if's" still lingers in the back of my brain. I also have anxiety and basically my head try's to imagine the worst possible turn out, so that might be it. But I am currently confident with myself and my sexuality and my relationship. It's just that deep in my mind I worry about whatever the heck may happen if I'm not correct.