1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masculine gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Cris, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Cris

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I really am not attracted to the male body at all but nonetheless I seem to prefer men to women. For example I cannot deal with the feminine nature of women so I don't even talk to them. I admire their bodies and think they are beautiful but I have little attraction to what is on the inside.

On the other hand I do not relate to typical gay male culture or effeminacy at all. I have very masculine attitudes that are the polar opposite of a typical gay person. This makes most people think I am straight but again I only can relate to men, not women.

2. Lyana

There, fixed that for ya. There is nothing wrong with fitting or not fitting a stereotype, but I think you should know that gay people, like everyone else, are themselves. They're unique individuals before they are "gay males." Masculine gay men? Yes, they exist. Gay men are just as diverse as any other group out there.

Whether or not you relate to effeminacy or "gay culture" says nothing about your sexuality. Your orientation is defined by the people you are attracted to and want relationships or sexual contact with, and that's it.

Are you asking for advice on figuring out your orientation? You sound a little... complicated. You won't even talk to women because you can't deal with them? I hope you'll at least read this reponse, regardless of my gender.

Here are questions that could help you identify your orientation: Have you ever had feelings for someone? A crush? A desire to take someone out on a date? Sexual attraction for someone? If you answered yes to any of these questions, which gender was that person?
    Finding women beautiful isn't the same as desiring them. Relating to men isn't the same as wanting a relationship with one.

3. Cris

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    But what percentage of uncloseted gays are actually masculine? If you are very masculine you would have a deep aversion to being lumped in with feminine gays, the only gays that are really acknowledged. Feminine gays have an easier time being gay in the sense that they love male looks and bodies while a hypothetical masculine gay would not be into other men's looks, just their personalities.

The people that I have fantasized about going on dates with are women, but only because I thought they looked hot, not because I actually liked them. I never talked to them, at first I thought it was just shyness but later realized it was because I just couldn't relate to them in any meaningful way.

4. klix

Are effectively saying that you not sexually attracted to men or women, but you do however recognise the beauty of the female body, and do not like the feminine behaviour regardless of gender.

I am making the assumption that you are interested in sex and are not asexual?

Ignoring masculinity/femininity, do you find women sexually attractive, or just recognise they are beautiful? i.e. perhaps a masculine woman might be right for you? Is it possible a trans woman would be more your kind of person, i.e. is having a penis/vagina an aspect for you?

I also presume you are struggling to find the right person for you rather than identifying a label, but if this is the case, you don't really need to label yourself.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience about 60% of "uncloseted gays" are masculine--if by this you mean about as masculine as the average straight guy. If on the other hand you mean so paranoid about being perceived as masculine that they can't even tolerate being around anyone feminine, well I guess not a lot, although I can't really think of any straight guys I know that would fit that standard.

I don't see how this follows at all, and frankly if it did straight people would be in trouble. To me when I think about what makes a real manly man it's someone who is secure about who he is and what he wants and in my experience those guys whether gay or straight are pretty much alright with people around them, because they aren't threatened. I think it is odd to define masculinity in terms of fear and lack of security. If I'm going to engage in stereotyping, and that's what we're doing after all, that doesn't seem very masculine at all.

6. Cris

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yes, I am definitely sexually attracted to women, not men. I view that as an aspect of my masculinty, not necessarily heterosexuality because as I said before I cannot relate to a typical feminine female at all apart from looks. I think that may be because my own mom always acted very masculine, for some reason everyone in my family has married "controlling" women.

7. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not exactly feminine, so anyone who talks to me won't think I'm gay, and they do realize that I'm gay, they'll be shocked. It's happen for all the people I've came out to. People don't realize it, and all I'm one of those people to break the stereotype.

8. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had a mixed reaction on this

Personally, I feel more of a feminine person, but I don't really pose a very high-pitched voice; nor do I gravitate to very bright colors. But I am interested in masculine men in terms of physical attraction.

With this aside, I've had friends give a mixed reaction on finding out about my sexuality - some are shocked, some didn't expect it, and some did.

So I guess I'm in the middle of the spectrum when it comes to the gay stereotype. However, I really hate the stereotype, gender expression and sexuality are two different things. Basically what I'm saying is, it irks me how people believe if you're gay then you act just like the stereotypical opposite sex but with more 'flashiness.' This is untrue and frankly offensive is some situations.

9. MarthRoyIke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In your mind what does it mean to be masculine? What specifically does a masculine guy say, do, or feel that makes them masculine?

Can you explain this point further?

By this definition a masculine guy is sexually attracted to women, which implies that a guy who is sexually attracted to men is not masculine. Have I interpreted this quote correctly (read: do you genuinely believe this)?