1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't see myself dating a girl

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by mochii, Jun 10, 2015.

1. mochii

So I'm in that limbo where I've fully accepted my sexuality and I eventually will come out/start making new experiences. But although I kind of just know I'm gay, I can't actually see myself dating a girl. Really the only thing that's keeping me going is that I think girls are hot and guys are not (and I can't have feelings for a guy). When I picture dating a girl, it looks a lot like meeting up with a friend and not feeling any romantic connection. Actually, I can't really picture doing anything sexual with a girl either.

I guess my only concern would be coming out to friends and family and then not actually being gay. Could this just all be due to heteronormativity and years of suppressing my feelings? Has anyone else experienced the same?

2. nebraska jones

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's probably difficult for you to imagine yourself dating a woman now because you're only just now accepting yourself but once you meet other queer women with similar experiences and interests I'd imagine it would feel a lot less odd and more natural to desire a emotional and physical relationship with a woman.

3. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    It is like being friends, but aren't all healthy relationships like that?

I think acceptance comes in stages, especially self acceptance. And yeah, when first considering it, it does seem weird. But like you said, it's a heteronormative society so we're conditioned to think of relationships one way. One thing I've noticed is that communication is so much better when dating a girl vs dating a guy. At least, based on my limited experience. I'm sure not all lesbian relationships are like that, but there's a commonality from the start.

Remember there's no rush to declare yourself as any label. I haven't and I'm comfortable with that. It just takes time. Good luck :slight_smile:

4. Astral

When I first came out as bisexual, at the time I felt like it may only be non-romantic because I could never have imagined myself in a relationship with a man, nor any things considered 'intimate' like passionate kissing, cuddling etc. Once I actually began talking to boys, hooking up and so fourth it became so much easier and clearer to imagine myself in those scenarios, because I have a reference point. As of now you don't, but once you get to know some other lesbians or perhaps get close to someone that way, your perspective will change. :3 Hope I helped a bit!

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was the same as Astral. One of the things that made me cling so aggressively to my heterosexuality was the feeling that while I was sexually attracted to women, I could never imagine myself in a relationship with one.
    As time passed, I warmed up to the idea much more, to the point where it's almost easier for me to imagine myself in a gay relationship now.
    Sometimes, you just have to give yourself some time to break down the barriers you've built up.
    Or, of course, there is the possibility that you may be Aromantic, however only time will tell if you'll start feeling romantic attraction also :slight_smile:

6. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OP, I felt like that too when I first realized I liked girls. In my head I thought it looked weird and I couldn't even imagine being with one when I reached my senior years. But looking back I see that it was due to heteronormative conditioning. You'll get there:slight_smile: And if not I agree with ForNarnia that you could be aromantic.

7. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Women, especially, are sexually fluid. Our feelings & needs will ebb & flow throughout the course of our life. To me, friendship is the most important connection two people can share. My dh & I are best friends. You can still be gay or bi without being romantic or sexual with a man or woman. We all fall along the spectrum differently. I'm more interested in friendship, affection & romance. I do like to hold, touch & definitely, kiss. If more passion develops, ok, but, I don't seek it out. You should do/be what is comfortable for you.

8. IrishBuddha6

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I kinda have been through a similar road. For example, I know I am attracted to guys, but years ago I would have thought it was weird to actually be in a relationship with a guy however, after thinking and some time of questioning, it does seem less weird, especially if I could pin the guy I have a crush on. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how i feel about women because for a while I did imagine myself marrying a woman but I'm not sure if that just because society and family have conditioned me like that considering I don't tend to have intense feelings for women. Good luck.