1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it okay to be gay but have emotional attachments to girls/women?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Sashafr, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Sashafr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    HI, I'm Alex and even though I've only come out of my closet to a few people i am still confused. I am only sexually attracted to guys however I feel more of an emotional attraction to girls. Does that mean I'm transgender? I'm a pretty masculine guy and don't identify as a female but I feel like I understand girls better and feel more attached to them than I do guys even if its not sexually. Please help me y'all!!

2. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeeeeeeeeessss, another fellow Richmonder (though I'm from Mechanicsville, close enough). You honestly don't need to box yourself into a label. If that is what you feel then these are your attractions! Allow them some time and observe them but don't lose sleep over them :slight_smile:. I don't think you're necessarily transgender just because you associate with women better but I don't Know what you feel. You may identify as whatever you feel describes you but that doesn't mean you have to fit it entirely. It's a pretty diverse world we live in! :slight_smile:

3. Sashafr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, man.....but I am posting this at 11:00 at night so losing a little sleep over it. Anyways thank you for the reply. BTW......VIRGINIA RULES!!!!

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey. What you are describing matches what a very large proportion of gay men experience. There's a reason why so many gay men have a gaggle of female BFFs... Look at Kurt in Glee.

It doesn't mean you are heteroromantic or any other unrecognized label... Nor (absent other, very different feelings) does it indicate you could be transgender. The ocverwhelming likelihood is that it means you're a normal, average gay guy who has great friendships with women :slight_smile:

5. Sashafr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you Chip......for calling me normal? I thought in today's society we were supposed to all be called unique but okay. Thank you lol!!

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes yes... and that's one of the biggest negative byproducts of the failed "self esteem" movement that took over education for a number of years. It's created a generation of people who are desperately afraid of being "ordinary" or "normal." That's one of the newer pieces of research about shame and shame triggers. And one of the reasons why I think it's important to frame things, particularly sexual identities and orientations, in the context that makes the most sense in the broad picture.

7. littlemoose

You could have a different romantic attraction to females? However, you could just house a great platonic love for females as well and not necessarily want to date them. Like the attraction where you want to be friends with somebody?

8. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given that there's no credible evidence (nor any support among credible professionals who work in the field) to support a difference between romantic and sexual orientation, the above scenario is highly unlikely.

As I said before, a large number of gay men have lots of female BFFs. It's rather pointless to describe that as anything other than the normal experience of gay men. An "attraction" where you want to be friends with someone is called "friendship."

9. Sashafr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for explaining that one....I didn't have no clue what that said. But to what you said about the failed self esteem thing in our society. It's true. I have seen so many kids ( and adults, but you didn't hear it from me) who don't do s**t but still expect handouts. Its quite frankly disgusting.

10. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe you just want to be friends with them? Some friendships can have very strong bondings.