1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not sure if I'm lesbian

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by emmae, Jun 13, 2015.

1. emmae

I'm really confused about what my orientation is. I am definitely attracted to other girls, that I know for sure. But I can't tell if I'm attracted to guys or not. I haven't ever had a real crush on a guy, where I like his personality or really want to get to know him. I do feel someattraction to men though. I often feel some sort of attraction to certain men but if I imagine having sex or dating a man it just seems really awkward. I could date or have sex with a man but it would not be a very good relationship, like I don't think I could really love a man or really enjoy having sex with him but I'm not totally against the idea. This kind of confuses me because every gay or lesbian person I know is not interested in the opposite sex at all but I kind of am. So what do you think?

2. iAmNotGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I think you MAYBE aren't lesbian, you MAYBE are bisexual by what I can tell.

-iAmNotGay.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very few people are 100% anything in life. We don't live in a world of absolutes, where everything is completely fixed and that can apply to our sexuality too. Why shouldn't it?

I am gay and it's not something I doubt or question for one minute, but being gay doesn't make me totally blind to attractiveness in the opposite sex. The same is true for many other gay men and lesbian women too. Recognising attractiveness in the opposite sex doesn't mean we are "interested" and it doesn't suggest any sort of desire to have an intimate or sexual relationship with them either. But it would be entirely unreasonable to say that we must feel repulsed by the opposite sex to accept the label gay/lesbian.

What you are experiencing is very normal and I would be more inclined to suggest that you are a lesbian. If you felt strongly attracted to both sexes (even if not equally) and could easily imagine physical intimacy with them, without any sense of awkwardness, it would be more likely that you are bisexual, but that's not what I am reading. You seem more at ease with the same sex.

Confusion and uncertainty is normal. It's normal in many aspects of life actually and we shouldn't be ashamed to admit it.

4. alli o

alli o Guest

I am in a very similar boat with you and reading this and seeing someone is having the same thoughts as me helped alot

5. emmae

Thank you, it also helps me to know someone feels the same way!

6. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gay people can still recognize that someone of the opposite sex is attractive, or be emotionally attracted to them in a friendly way, and when you're still not sure of your sexual orientation that can be confusing. It's up to you to decide what you want to label yourself, if you feel that your attraction for guys either sexually or emotionally is relevant enough, (even if you prefer girls) you might prefer the term bisexual/pansexual/whatever you feel that fits. If you conclude that the attraction is irrelevant (eg. you can't picture yourself being happy with a guy despite punctual attractions) you might prefer the lesbian label.
    It's completely up to you, but don't stress over labels, you'll figure what you're most comfortable with sooner or later, everyone does :slight_smile:

7. UncertainTea123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    ditto