1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Bi as a Cop Out? When You're Really Far from 50/50

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Starwind78, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I identify as bisexual literally because I had one extremely intense crush on a man almost five years ago now.

Have I really been attracted to a man after him? No.

During this same period, have I found myself attracted to multiple women? Yep.

And with an equal or higher intensity? Yep.

Lately too, my sexual fantasies have been entirely lesbian and I've been left wondering if there is even a damn point in identifying as bi anymore. [they have gradually increased in frequency as I've become more accepting of my sexuality]

Though bi sometimes has a higher stigma attached to it than lesbianism, I would almost feel worse coming out as lesbian instead of bi (still closeted). My friends and family know me as straight, so it somehow feels like less of a betrayal if I meet their expectation halfway.

A large part of me was also hoping that, even though I am attracted to women (a lot, apparently), that I could still manage to settle down with a guy. I want marriage, I want kids, and I don't want to be judged by my family and friends more than I already am. I guess I wanted the easy way out by remaining privately interested in women, but publicly 100% straight, and I thought bisexuality would be a good way to make terms with that. It now seems increasingly impossible to do so.

Can I be a lesbian if I've ever been attracted to a man? Everything is pointing to yes, but I really don't want to admit it. At the same time, I can no longer see myself marrying a man and enjoying the sex and intimacy. It's increasingly looking like I have two options - closeted and alone or full-blown lesbianism - and it's scaring me.

2. Curioso

I feel like from where I am standing you've made it pretty clear to your self what the answer is. Why would you want to live life any way other than optimally happy? You don't.

As far as being Bi or not, what about when you look at it from the angle of. It just IS. I just AM. I love WHO i love, and no more or less. If your not feeling any men, or any ones you've met recently, then don't worry about it. Also coming out and being yourself i think will bring you a huge amount of satisfaction, after the initial difficulties.

Just my thoughts xD

3. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah, in a way, it really is that simple. Remaining closeted is looking increasingly miserable. I don't think my family will hate me forever if I come out. They may judge me forever, but it's better than being bitter and alone that entire time as well.

I think there is also some reluctance on my part because I've fought much of my life to maintain that I'm straight. People in school used to give me so much shit about potentially being gay. At the time, I thought I was 100% straight too, so I didn't understand why. Looking back, I realize that I was sending mixed signals even then.

4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hon, there are all kinds of lesbians and all kinds of bisexuals...people follow all kinds of paths. I'm sure some people (straight, bi, and lesbian) will tell you that you can only be a lesbian if you've never felt *anything* looking at a guy...but that says more about their issues than about you or lesbians.

I always advocate "simply live and don't worry so much about your label". Then look back after a few years and choose the label that seems to fit based on your experience. It sounds to me like you've done exactly this, and you're now struggling to accept what you've found.

But if it's the word that bugs you, simply don't let it bug you. You don't need a word for it, nor should you ever let a word dictate your future. Accepting that you are attracted exclusively to women, and have been for some time does not mean that you will never marry a man, settle down, and have children (though it does *perhaps* make the "marry a man" part much less likely). More and more, lesbians do settle down and have children...the awesome thing is that they do it with *women*!!

I get your frustration with being in the closet. But I don't get the need to know your entire destiny in order to come out (I'm not quite saying you're taking it this far...but some people do). I don't get when people talk about "what to come out as" as if there is going to be some kind of bat mitzvah event, and they want to make sure they're going to do it right. Being in the closet means that you're taking steps to make sure that nobody finds out about your orientation. The opposite of that is *not* taking steps to make sure that nobody finds out about your orientation...not screaming your label from a mountaintop. I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to be out (and it is *so* much nicer out), then live your life, date people to whom you are attracted, and if anyone asks, admit that yeah, you're dating a woman (assuming this is the case). Don't *come* out...BE out...stop fighting the fight.

And then if you meet another guy you're intensely attracted to, feel free to date him too...you never told anyone you wouldn't. And if you happen to marry him some day and have kids...well, then that happens.

But live your life. And be happy. *hugs*

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

First off, Bisexuals are almost never 50/50 in attraction, so keep that in mind.

However, I'm not saying you are bi yourself, just that It's a misconception.

You don't sound bi anymore in my opinion if men don't interest you and the intimacy turns you off....sounds pretty lesbian to me. Unfortunately, most lesbians are victims of compulsory heterosexuality and many believe themselves to be attracted to men at one point.

6. guitar

BiAnnika is exactly right, don't worry about your label. I'm "gay" but have had attractions to women, just nowhere near as strong as guys. Saying I'm gay is simply a shortcut.

Your best bet is probably to tell people you're lesbian if you think you are. I told a friend I was bi long before I was ready to come out. I later had to backpedal when I had only dated guys and he kept wondering "if you like girls too, why not date them?" "Well..."

7. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't feel comfortable with labels, don't adopt them ;P

We often don't need them. I usually go with "I'm gay" when explaining it to a friend or something, when in reality I do kiss girls / get intimate in some situations, although I'm pretty averse to the idea of sex with girls, I don't completely "ban it". I'm ~97% attracted to guys, thats what it is. The rest are all labels; they don't necessarily describe what I feel 100% percent in all possible situations; that would be pretty weird.

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well darlin, im Bi. is it 50/50? nope, in fact it started with a strong majority of attraction towards females vs males. now that has flipped. go with the flow i say.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not a cop out. It's not an even 50:50 for many bisexual people. Different events and reasons impact this. Get to a comfortable spot. It sounds like you've only identified two options - the closet or, as you say, "full blown lesbianism." There are more options than that. Many people here manage lives that don't involve picking black and white options.

If you care to, can you share what happened with that man you had an intense crush on five years ago? The fact that you used the word intense, which you probably did in a stream of consciousness, is interesting. It might help us and help you understand.

Labels are for clothes. Just kidding. However, sexuality is sometimes so much more complicated than just a label.

10. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Like everyone else said, you don't have to use labels. If you've only been attracted to one man, I think it's safe to say you can identify as a lesbian, if you want. Though if you suddenly find more men attractive, then you might want to take some time to reflect on your sexuality.

50/50 bisexuals are rare but they do exist.

#10 XenaxGabby, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  11. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I say bi even though I tend to have a strong preference for men. I have had intense crushes on girls in the past, and I believe that there is a possibility I will again. Recently, I haven't had any; I've only had M/M crushes for the past year or so. But I still identify as bisexual because of the past and possible future attraction to women.

Only you know where your sexuality stands, and if you can't seem to find a label that fits you, you don't have to choose one. You can just tell people "I'm queer" or "I'm not straight" and leave it at that!

12. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's unlikely for me to live my life with a woman, therefore I tell people I'm gay (Kinsey 4-5).

Technically speaking I'm bisexual (feelings/sexual arousal from some women). Since I'm the only guy in my dad's side to carry on the last name, everyone expects that I'll have kids on my own, so there's a bit of a drive to identify as gay because if I identify as bisexual, then people will expect me to still marry the opposite sex.

13. colt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ironically, I once wrote an entire blog post about Bi guys. I found that every single time they were actually straight, with a bi curiosity. I'm not saying that true bi doesn't exist, I'm just saying people ALWAYS lean towards one more. They say the true "gay" scale is 1-6. 1 being straight, 6 being gay. I think I'm maybe a 5/6. I love men, and could never be physically intimate with a woman. But I have in the past found myself irresistibly drawn towards certain girls my age in a completely emotional way...thats why I might be a 5.

But the point of that 1-6 graph is that you can never be truly down the middle. You can be close to one or the other, but you will always fall more to one side

14. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, guys! Thank your for all of the encouraging responses and advice. I was unsure if bisexuality could be like that.

I had always understood the term to mean a relatively equal attraction to both sexes, but what I'm hearing here makes a lot more sense with what I have experienced.

Advice here on rejecting labels seems reasonable, especially for where I am right now in coming out (pretty much 100% closeted) and because I'm still unsure if I feel absolutely no attraction to guys.

I guess my next step will be trying to show some more outward interest toward other women, which I keep under pretty tight control right now. One problem is that I am stereotypically "feminine" and conservative, at least in terms of dress and most of my mannerisms. I think it throws people off when my eyes and body language indicate same sex attraction while I outwardly blend in quite nicely with heterosexuals.

---------- Post added 17th Jun 2015 at 01:27 PM ----------

I am very interested in seeing how this will pan out, if psychologists will ever come to sure conclusions on how this works. I've even heard some people, including on this thread, indicate that you can move along the scale as well.

I don't want to invalidate bisexuals who do feel a more even proportion of same and opposite sex attraction, but my suspicions are leaning toward your view - that very few are truly in the middle. What I see and experience seems to contradict what I originally perceived bisexuality to be (more 50/50), though I am just a sample size of one.

15. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I'm embarrassed to say that it was a teacher crush. At 22, this feels extremely juvenile of me to say this, but it wasn't your everyday school girl crush. I've experienced the latter before and can tell the difference. He was the first person I had any real sexual attraction for. If he'd shown me any signs of interest, I'm ashamed to say that I probably would have slept with him.

Since him though, it's been a big nope as far as guys go. As far as I can tell, I seem to only be attracted to older men. With women, I still prefer older, but am also attracted to women my own age. This in itself may be why I find more women attractive, just since there are logically more to choose from, but I think it's more than that.

16. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is such good advice it needs repeating.

17. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being bi is way more complicated than just meaning 50/50. I'm pretty sure that's the case with me, and it isn't 50/50 or any particular odds. It's often something that can change at different times to some extent. However, I'd say that your pretty much just interested in women and maybe on a very rare occasion would be interested in men.