1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

label question

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by iceman618, Jun 16, 2015.

1. iceman618

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a cisgender male who has been identifying as homosexual.

Up until about a year ago, my experiences with transgender persons has been limited to a handful of transgender females, and frankly - they weren't particularly positive interactions. I'm ashamed to admit that I used to hold some pretty bad prejudices about the transgender community.

However, about a year ago, a number of things came together that caused me to be more exposed to the transgender community. I also happened to become acquainted with several transgender persons. I got to know them, became friends with them, and my attitude toward the community as a whole has evolved and become more positive. I also finally became aware that transgender males existed.

Last week I had a sort of odd experience that made me question the extent of my sexual orientation. This had actually been a year in the making, but what happened last week was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back. I finally realized and accepted the fact that my sexual orientation is more dependent on gender identity and expression and less dependent on biological sex. I realized that I'm attracted to masculinity - regardless of whether that's being exhibited by a cisgender male or a transgender male.

I know a lot of people will say that labels aren't important. But to me, they can be an effective and convenient way to convey a lot of information. I want to make sure that if I hold myself out with a new label that I'm using the proper label and not using one in a way that might be offensive to others.

I spent a lot of time today researching what label(s) might best describe me, and... it wasn't easy. As best I can tell, "polysexual" is the most accurate. "Androphilic" or "androsexual" seems like it might also fit, but I got the impression that those terms were generally reserved for use by transgender persons.

Thoughts?

#1 iceman618, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  2. fern

Out Status:
    Some people
    from what i understand Androphilic seems to describe you...i didn't realize that was generally used by transgendered people...it might just be that that's who most often uses the term, but it's not exclusive.
    from my quick search though i see: "Androsexual/Androphilic: attracted to males, men, and/or masculinity" sounds right!

you could also totally make up your own label that you feel fits you...you'll probably have to give just as much explanation as to what is means when explaining to a straight cisgendered person anyways! something like gender-gay...although that doesn't have the *ring* i'd like it to...pick whatever label feels right to you :slight_smile: sorry I couldn't be more help!

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're attracted to cisgender men and trans men, then you're still homosexual. Homosexual means being attracted to men. Trans men are men, so that doesn't change your orientation.

If you wish to convey that you're attracted to masculinity regardless of gender identity (e.g. masculine nonbinary people regardless of sex, perhaps even a sufficiently masculine woman?), androsexual would likely be most accurate.

Androsexual is certainly not reserved for use by trans people, though it is common for nonbinary people to use it while it is less common for binary people to do so. This is simply because androsexual can so easily be used to mean you are attracted to men without indicating your gender (basically, a homosexual person attracted to men must be a man, but an androsexual person could be a man, a woman, or a nonbinary person). If you feel the label fits, you are welcome to use it, even if you're not trans.