1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female, sexually & emotionally attracted to females, sexually attracted to males

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by kts, Jun 20, 2015.

1. kts

kts

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi everyone. It's my first time posting here and I'm in need of advice, not sure where else to go or who to talk to. Any insights/opinions are welcome.

I'm a 19 yr old girl, and for as long as I can remember I've never really cared about dating. Most of my friends started dating when they were 15/16 and some of my closest friends are in long term relationships currently. I know I'm still young so it's not really a big deal. Anyway, I've never been in a relationship, and as I mentioned, that never really phased me. I've had 2 casual 'arrangements' that were solely sexual and they were both bothered. I like spending time on my own and I'm very independent. I don't deal well with clingy people or too much affection, so I've always just thought relationships weren't for me.

Over the past 6 or so months, however, I've developed an interest in being with someone. I think I'm a bit lonely after so many years of keeping at a distance from this stuff. During this time I've really allowed myself to think about relationships and who I'm attracted to, and it became so clear that I'm not only interested in men.

I came to this realisation when I was going through a bit of a hard time: a close friend of mine had just left the country to go back to her home (exchange student) after we spent 6 months living together, doing everything together, travelling together, cooking together etc. Looking back on it now, it kind of felt like a relationship (without the sex of course, and I know my feelings weren't reciprocated).

We were extremely close, and I've never really had that level of connectedness with another person before. I was extremely upset for months because I missed her so much but eventually settled down. This experience made me think back over the last few years, and I realised there have been 2 or 3 key women in my life (friends) who I felt something really special for, who I still admire and love, but I never really identified it as such until this period of reflection, or whatever you want to call it.

Now when I think about being in a serious relationship, I can only see myself with a girl. I know I'm also sexually attracted to girls. But I'm also definitely sexually attracted to guys, always have been.

I haven't 'come out' to anyone, as I don't really know what I want to identify as, and I don't want to force myself into something I'm not ready for.
    What do you think of this situation? Am I bisexual? Am I more homosexual than heterosexual? I'm a strong believer in the Kinsey scale and I think sexuality is fluid, but I really need some outside opinions because I'm not really sure who to talk to or how to wrap my head around this.
    Thanks everyone.

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I would say that you are bisexual with a preference of only dating girls. Bisexual just refers to what genders you are sexually attracted to, not necessarily romantically. However, if you don't want guys to think you're interested in them romantically, you can just add that little tidbit in there. Sadly, it won't matter what you identify as to get men to go away since even lesbians get men trying to force them to date them, so I say just be yourself.

3. fxngirl

fxngirl Guest

I would say you're a homoromantic bisexual, since you see yourself in a relationship only with a girl but you're sexually attracted to both sexes :slight_smile:

4. kts

kts

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks Fallingdown7and fxngirl for your replies :icon_bigg
    I've been doing a lot of thinking since posting this and reading your opinions and I'm thinking about coming out to my parents and close friends, because I want to start dating women and I don't want to have to hide that. Actually finding a women to date who isn't straight is a whole other ballgame, wow!

5. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC Kts !

Nice to see a girl my age and who is also from Sydney on here, I've read your post and definitely can relate since it's also a crush on a friend that made me realize that I was very unlikely straight. I am now 'officially' bisexual and live has never been easier. I am French, but I can tell you that Sydney is full of bi-curious/bi-sexual/gay women, I definitely have a good 'gaydar' which helps but I find finding fellow bisexuals/lesbians very easy if you pick up on the hints. I don't know where you live in Sydney and you probably know the city way better than me but Newtown is the place to go if you want to meet lesbians/bi girls.
    Actually there is this very famous lesbian party (which mostly involves girls that are between the age of 18 and 25 even though there may be some older people) called ''birdcage'' (you can look that up on FB) every Wednesdays, I have never been but I heard of it and I was planning on going with a fellow bi friend this wenesday or maybe next week. So if that's something you would enjoy/like you should join.

It will allow you to 'taste the waters' and see if you definitely identify with the lesbian/bi community afterwards.

I hope it helps and good luck with your coming out, hope everything goes well for you OP ! :slight_smile:

6. kts

kts

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi Linning,

thanks for the warm welcome!
    I only just saw your post, sorry for the late reply.

I think I have the worst 'gaydar' possible. Since I posted this I haven't 'come out' but I've instead been trying to understand my feelings better and testing out my newfound sense of sexuality by observing girls around me (in a non-creepy way I hope) just to see how it makes me feel and whether they might be interested. I'm definitely bisexual (at the moment anyway), although I don't know if I like the term/want to label myself as such. I haven't really been out clubbing or anything in a while so it's hard to meet people and see if they might be interested. Or at least it's hard for me!

I actually live outside of Sydney (I just put it down on my profile as the closest major city) but I spend a fair amount of time there. But since this is kind of a recent development for me I'm a little hesitant to test the waters I guess. I think what makes it harder is I'm not really surrounded by many lgbt folks. One of my best friends is gay but other than that there's not a lot of people that I know I can talk to about this stuff. I suppose this is where I should seek out groups in my area, etc. This is also part of the reason I want to come out to friends/parents, to start a discussion and just so people know.

Thanks for letting me now about birdcage! I just looked it up on facebook and it looks cool. Maybe something to experience soon :slight_smile:

Thank you,
    It's so comforting to hear from others in similar situations!

7. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

No problem, I totally understand you. I find the idea of being open with your relatives and friends very good and I do believe it could help you. You will probably be amazed and overwhelmed by the number of people that will be supportive of you and your bi-sexuality, joining LGBT groups is also a fantastic idea, good luck ! :slight_smile:

8. kts

kts

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Did you end up going to bridcage Linning?

p.s. I think I've decided to come out to my closest (gay) friend today. It will have to be via message/phone though since he lives in a different state!

9. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds smiliar to my sexuality except with the genders reversed of course. I'm sexually attracted to guys and girls but only romantically attracted to guys and I'm only interested in having a relationship with a guy. I just say I'm gay though because it's easier to convey I'm only interested in men that way.

Depends on what you want to explain to people and if you want to choose a complicated label or a simpler one, if any. I would say you're bisexual homoromantic, but like I said before I'm also bisexual homoromantic but I consider myself to be gay.

10. kts

kts

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi EpicConfusion,
    thanks for the reply.

Nice to hear the reverse side! I've pretty much decided I'm staying away from any complicated labels for now, just until I have had some more dating experience. Then I might know what I want to call myself if I decide to label myself as anything. Interesting that you consider yourself to be gay. I don't know if I could at this point label myself as just lesbian. I'm not sure it would feel right for me anyway, but I do understand why you do it.

Just an update all: I came out to my two best friends today. It felt so good and they were hilariously supportive, as my friends always are. One of them said to me, and I quote, "you've got too much sass for just one type of ass." Amazing.

11. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's exactly how I feel, sexually and emotionally attracted to girls and sexually attracted to guys. I had crushes on guys growing up, but ever since I realized I like girls I never had romantic feelings for a guy again, and currently I only imagine myself in a relationship with a girl. What you decide to label yourself is up to you, I prefer to say I'm bisexual (homoromantic bisexual probably). The lesbian label just doesn't feel completely right to me, I feel like I would be erasing a part of my sexuality. That could change with time but that's how I feel right now. I'm a 4 in the kinsey scale btw, though I don't find it really accurate.
    And congratulations on your coming out :grin:

12. kts

kts

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi blueshadedsoul!
    Really nice to know I'm not the only one - I've never had much to do with the lgbt+ community before joining this site and starting this thread so I didn't even know about the homoromantic 'subcategory'.
    I'd say I'm a 3 or 4 on the Kinsey scale. I did some tests online a while ago but like you said that's not really accurate.
    Thanks, it feels really good even if only a couple of friends know :slight_smile:

13. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

No I was supposed to go last week but ended up going to Newcastle instead, I may go on Wednesday though cause that looks pretty cool. :slight_smile:

how did your coming out go ?

14. kts

kts

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Newcastle is where I live!
    It was great. Haven't told anyone past my 2 best friends yet but I'm kind of content at the moment. They were so supportive and funny!

15. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you kidding me ? I love NEWCASTLE ! I figured you were kind of living there but wasn't sure. Maybe we've already met, who knows ? hahaha (I am actually going to Newcastle tomorrow) I told you your friends would be supportive and I am glad they were. I hope you'll be able to come out to more people soon. I am going to birdcage tomorrow night, on my way back to Newie so will tell you how it is ! :icon_wink

Ps: I love how I talk to you as if we are lifelong friends. hahaha :icon_bigg

16. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's probably a good plan. Glad to hear that your friends were supportive :slight_smile: In time you'll come to understand your true sexuality I'm sure.

17. kts

kts

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks again, I'm so glad I found people here who understand!

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2015 at 07:05 PM ----------

This is crazy!! I'm not there at the moment but I will be for a few nights next week.
    I'm excited to hear about birdcage! Have fun tonight, I really want to go :thumbsup:

18. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't end up going cause my friend couldn't make it, argh, I really wanted to go ! haha oh well, next week probably ! :wink: