1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I know that I'm a lesbian.. for sure.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by RagingPinecone, Jun 30, 2015.

1. RagingPinecone

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am almost positive that I am a lesbian, I know these things take time, and i think about it a lot. I was wondering if anyone can share how they knew that they were a lesbian. Thank you, it is greatly appreciated.

2. benefit25

Any insight would be good too! I think that just experimenting would be good. in my case thats a bit scary cause im also demisexual

3. RagingPinecone

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you! I have experimented, and it felt so right. that probably would be difficult being demisexual!

4. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry because this won't sound very helpful, but it is different for everyone.

I will say though that the common advice to just "try it" can probably backfire. When I was questioning, I was (and still am) very much closeted and would have been terrified of dating another girl. Don't put that pressure on yourself.

I realize it after I began having sexual fantasies about my current crush. After a while, they simply became too numerous and vivid for me to pretend otherwise. Then, I looked back on other times this had happened before in less intensity that I had simply chalked up to admiration/affection or having a "girl crush".

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only way you can be 100% sure that you're a lesbian is to live your entire life with females as sexual/romantic partners, and observe whether you're satisfied. If there ever comes a time when you decide you'd really like a romantic/sexual relationship with a man, then you're not (and can abort the experiment).

BUT:
    (a) I think it's silly to insist on 100% certainty of *anything* in this world; and
    (b) You don't need nearly that standard of evidence to simply *accept* that you are a lesbian and identify as such. If you find out later that you were mistaken, it's not that big of a deal.

If you are "almost positive" that you are a lesbian, that is plenty confident for option (b).