1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uh labelling myself?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by heart broken, Jul 2, 2015.

1. heart broken

heart broken Guest

Hi all.

Can somebody give me a little help with using the right labels here please?
    I don't want to misunderstand something ofc.

Usually I consider myself pansexual because I'm able to become physically aroused by men, transexuals and at times women as well although that's my most unemotional intimate connections. I wouldn't dream of giving up sex with men for anything.

I always thought I liked "group sex" & "free sex", but I guess that is old labels now, is that right? Today I hear people call such stuff "polyamory" as well, is that the same thing?

Thank you so much for helping me, cus I don't wanna talk when imma noob of self-labelling. I'm uncomfortable enough as it is, so I really appreciate it.
    Have a great time.

2. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is the definition of Polyamory:
    It's quite literally being in a relationship with more than one person, and being comfortable with it. It can most definitely be considered a romantic orientation, though there are a lot of different views on the topic.

Usually I hear people being in a romantic 'group' I suppose. Usually (from what I've seen) 3-4 people all dating each other, and being intimate with one another.

'Free sex' would probably be more defined as an 'open-end relationship' or something that is 'not exclusive'. Meaning that you and your partner are comfortable with having sexual or romantic relationships with other people while maintaining your relationship.

It really depends on how you look at it really.

Hope this helps!

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Could it be that you're pan with preferences? :slight_smile: And that you prefer guys in romance?

4. heart broken

heart broken Guest

Oh ok that actually helped a lot.
    So I'm pan with preferences, that is kinda normal I guess.
    And ofc polyamory is about amour and free sex is about physics.
    Thank you for keeping me up to date.

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you're describing here (if people only have sex within the group) sounds like polyfidelity.

In general, there are a lot of different kinds of open/non-monogamous relationship styles.

Her expression "free sex" sounds to me like the OP is into an open relationship, for sure.

But yes, polyamory does generally imply a level of emotional attachment...definitely not simply "screw whomever you want when the feeling strikes".

6. heart broken

heart broken Guest

Ah ok. I see why I felt confused!
    So polyamory is for the emotional connection actually. And it's still valid if the relationship(s) remain platonic? And polyfidelity is the the actual physical relationships, like if one say "the hippie collective had promised polyfidelity to one another"?
    But "free sex", does not mean all types of compromise of monogamous fidelity, but only a type with "no rules" at all?

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry if I actually muddied the waters there.

Polyfidelity is a style of polyamory where a group of people are freely romantic/sexual within the group, but not outside of it...literally poly+fidelity.

Polyamory is the more general situation of being able to genuinely romantically love more than one person at a time (and most, but not all, romantic love is accompanied by eventual sex).

8. heart broken

heart broken Guest

Oh no it is a great help, I was reassuring myself by repeating it I guess, I feel kind of insecure these days. I might misunderstand something because I'm not awesomely great at language. Since Danish is one of the most primitive languages actually in use in Europe, I'll just use that as the reason. Thanx a lot for explaining it.