1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you *know* if you're a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Hachi, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Hachi

I am having a really rough time right now, as this has been plaguing me. I have always wondered this, ever since I was about 6 or 7, I have done things that made me question myself. I kissed my female best friend when I was like 8 years old because I really wanted to. Then, when I was about 11 or 12 I had a HUGE crush on a girl for like 3-4 years afterwards.

I'm 19 now and I've dated a couple guys and am in a current relationship with one. I didn't have sex with my first boyfriend because I literally couldn't stand it, and my current boyfriend...well. I tolerate it because he "finishes" really quickly, so sex is always relatively quick and painless.

I truly do care for my boyfriend and I have a great time with him - he makes me laugh, he's smart, he's into a lot of the stuff I am. So it's cool.

The reason I am worrying so much about this recently is because, well, a few things. I fantasize about girls all the time. Whenever I see a really pretty girl I feel so sad, because I worry I'll never get to experience that.

I am just so distraught. I want to be with a woman but I don't know. I definitely have a "type" that I like, and so sometimes when I see a woman that I don't find attractive I start to panic that maybe it's all in my head.

I don't know. If I am a lesbian it will make my life really suck for a while, and the chances of me finding a woman are really slim. I don't know.

What advice is there? I'm sorry if this is kind of jumbled, I've literally never asked anyone for advice or told anyone about this in depth before. Any advice is so appreciated. :/

2. benefit25

Hello first of all this is the right place for you to be at... it seems like you were surpressing your liking women by dating a guy. (except for when you were young). I dont think its on our power tho to know what your label is. we cant say it for you. All we can say is that we understand what you are going through. For me... with my ex.. it felt wrong. it felt like something was missing and i just didnt know what it was. Im still wondering. I have never even experienced with a woman. Like you questioning is very plaguing.. i feel it too and i cant share it with anyone. i know this may be hard but my advice for you would be to really give it some time, so that you can process it with a little bit more of a clear mind.

if you have an openminded bf, talk to him about this and see what he says.. dont feel the need to stay with him. You have my support, to go and discover yourself.... i like you also think If I If I am a lesbian it will make my life really suck for a while, and the chances of me finding a woman are really slim. I don't know. but like me .. you DESERVE it and you owe it to yourself if not.. you are just gonna be stuck in your mind.. living in that horrible dark place.

3. Hachi

I appreciate your response, benefit25. It is helpful just knowing there is someone else out there who may be similar to me.

It's just scary because I feel as though there is no good option right now. If I leave my boyfriend believing myself to be a lesbian and then find out hey, actually I had a good thing with that one guy, I shouldn't have thrown it away. Or if I stay and then forever question what could have been with a woman.

It's really daunting/overwhelming, I guess :/ I wish I were one of those people who were really sure one way or the other.

But like you said, we do deserve to be happy and figure ourselves out...

4. FoxSong

Deep breaths :slight_smile:. You're only 19, so you have plenty of time to figure things out. Honestly, what you've said does raise a couple of red flags: that you 'tolerate' sleeping with your boyfriend... I take that to mean it's not actually enjoyable for you? What about the bits leading up to that? Do you enjoy kissing him etc?

It's worth exploring your feelings on this and being honest with yourself.. if you feel like you would really regret never dating a girl, then you should date one at some point. More importantly, don't let your fear of what might or might not happen be the controlling factor here. Just allow yourself to feel your attractions openly and see where that takes you.

5. cupcaker

This sounds a lot like me... Sigh. I'm going through this currently. Sex is okay, I never *want* to do it but I do initiate it because I care about him and he's not the type to initiate anyway. And it's not that I don't like it, it feels good because it hits the g-spot so it works...but I'm never horny for him, if you get what I mean.
    What I've seen is that you can rule out being straight if you do have sexual thoughts towards your same gender. Personally I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet and I believe it'll come one day.
    I basically posted to let you know that you're not alone and to send you lots of love :slight_smile: big hugs and good luck :slight_smile:

#5 cupcaker, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  6. benefit25

Yeah.. i liked sex with my ex.. but idk if it was just the sex that i liked or particularly sex with him.. but i did enjoy giving bjs and getting them too..:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 5th Jul 2015 at 02:08 PM ----------

ITS SO OVEERWHELMING AND SO HARD TO FIGURE OUT, but just think of it this way...you have an amazing life ahead of you.. regardless of anything just make sure u enjoy it

7. Hachi

Aw, thanks everyone for your comforting responses.

@Foxsong, the "leading up" bits are hit or miss. Sometimes I am okay with them, sometimes I try to avoid them. Kissing is generally OK, and I like cuddling etc. I also enjoy it when he does like "sweet" things to me, like hugs or kisses on the forehead etc. Sex is just like, I dunno. I enjoy it when he performs oral sex, but then again, my eyes are closed the entire time and I am usually fantasizing about something else. Sex itself just doesn't do it for me.

@cupcaker, thank you! I really appreciate every bit of comfort, as this is something I am totally not ready to talk to anyone about seriously. So coming here feels really reassuring.

@benefit25, yeah, I suppose it's just a matter of patience and being true to self. Sometimes it gets really hard cause something will happen that will make you think one thing and then soon enough something else happens and you are right back where you started.

I just want to relax about it. I'm always on edge about what I should do or whether or not I am doing the right thing or who I'm going to end up hurting. It's scary and doubly scary when I think about the potential of coming out to people. I wonder who would accept me and who wouldn't. It's hard.

8. FoxSong

So, the closing your eyes and fantasizing about something else is something I can relate to. I used to do that. I found that as time passed, I became more and more distant about the kissing/cuddling/sweet gestures interactions as well.

As for the coming out part, that should be at your own pace, as and when you're ready. I think it's important to focus on making yourself comfortable with being attracted to women first, pay attention to what that little voice in your head is saying. And if it's saying stupid shit like: "you could never be in a relationship with such an attractive girl, so just forget about it" then kick it to the curb. That's nonsense. (*hug*)

9. Hachi

Thanks for that, Foxsong :slight_smile: For some reason it was really comforting to read that thinking that I could never be with a beautiful girl is stupid. I guess it's possible after all, though I still feel the unlikeliness of it all :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I just feel weirdly disconnected from my boyfriend now, though I know I care about him a whole ton. I feel like I'm lying to myself one way or another, and I am worried he can tell. I don't know. I'm not ready to leave him but I'm also not into this whole "living but not being present" thing.

10. TheStormInside

The way you talk about being with your bf is similar to how I felt with my ex. I really loved him, I cared about him a lot, but when it came to the physical aspects of the relationship I sort of just wanted to get it over with. Sometimes it was ok, or even a little nice, but I also felt anxious or just bored a good portion of the time. How is your relationship with your bf outside of the bedroom arena?

I still find my feelings towards men a little confusing, because I can obviously fall for them emotionally, and sometimes I find them attractive, but I don't really have an interest in being physical with them the way I do women. For now I consider myself gay or "mostly gay" but I try to stay open to the possibility that a guy could come along at some point, even if my focus is mainly on women.

You don't need to label yourself yet, it seems like you're still trying to figure out your feelings and get comfortable with them. It's a scary process, for sure, but you'll get through it. How do you think your bf would react if you told him you were questioning your sexuality? Would being open with him about this be a possibility for you? If so, maybe being able to share that will help take that pressure of "lying" off a bit, so you can approach things in a more clearheaded manner. If not, well, EC is here and there are so many people here who can help you through this, too.

11. jillyjohn17

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    this is exactly how i feel! i have no idea what anything is or means and its hard to even realize how i feel..:/ its nice to know that there are others who can relate

12. Hachi

Thanks TheStormInside. Yeah, I feel like trying to squeeze completely into a label right now is harming my ability to actually figure anything out. So I'm just going to lay off (as much as I can, at least) worrying too extensively about what I am and what is going on.

jillyjohn17, I'm glad we can relate as well! It is certainly comforting when someone else understands exactly how you feel.

13. Monak

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    hi Hachi
    I totally agree with benefit25. I am the same boat so I don't know what would be my advice because I am clueless like you. But you do have my support :slight_smile:

14. greeneyes101

Hi Hachi,

reading your topic, made my heart jump.. this is exactly what I've been through.. I had a relationship for 2 years with a guy and well we had sex but I didn't like it one bit.. it didnt turn me on at all, only when he used his fingers inside me and around my core.. I must admit I sometimes imagined it was a girl doing these things to me and not him... I remember when I looked at him, or now, any men I don't think men are attractive at all (sorry guys xD) I prefer a beautiful woman with curves and emotional, sensual moods like me xD

so I can relate to how u feel, take your time to find out, I'm 25 now and I'm sure im gay but im still trying to figure out hw to out this

#14 greeneyes101, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015