1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gendering/Lack of consideration?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by MidnightStar, Jul 7, 2015.

1. MidnightStar

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have said before I don't use the term lesbian because I dislike the sounds of it and it feels more feminine to me it's my personal choice so I use gay instead.
    But my problem I'm having on this site over and over again is people assume when I say the words gay that I'm a guy which made me had a realization.

It isn't just the sounds of the words that feels wrong it's people are gendering gay and lesbian (Gay as man) (Lesbian as woman) what happens when you not only have someone who dislikes the sounds of the words but also considerers themselves genderqueer or in the binary?

You know, people who don't wish to be applied to male or female only or have another word they wish to use instead. We are the LGBTQ community fighting for acceptance and probably still will weather or not marriage got passed till the day we die knowing this world
    But if we really want to fight for acceptance in the lgb or TQ world then why are we gendering our own sexuality terms to male or female? And why are we assuming someone is male or female simply because the word the pick to use?
    Isn't that lack of consideration and at times assumption inside of our own community?

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those words existed long before the community as a whole was focusing on language in regards to nonbinary people. It is way too late to degender them. They will always be gendered terms. It's simply how the terms have been defined. There are however words that exist (androsexual and gynesexual) that allow people to indicate who they are attracted to without having to indicate their own gender.

3. MidnightStar

Out Status:
    A few people
    Then why do we continue to use words that are gendered? I mean even labels I guess.
    Don't get me wrong I use them to but its just a thought.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's easy for people to use those words because they're already so familiar. Everyone knows what gay and lesbian mean. Trying to change that language to words that were unfamiliar would be confusing to many.

Honestly, I have nothing against gendered language like that as long as gender neutral alternatives exist, and they do.