1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Dating Advice

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by idkidk, Jul 8, 2015.

1. idkidk

Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I'm in an exploratory phase. I haven't labeled myself, I'm still trying to figure out who I am. I've identified as "straight", but I've been attracted to women and I'm trying to better understand it. So, I'm trying online dating, because I don't know anyone in the LGBTQ community. I'm just hoping to make friends, really. Not looking for anything serious.

I started talking to this young woman and right off the bat she asked me an intense question about my philosophy on life/relationships, it caught be off guard because there's usually some kind of segue into that sort of thing. But I like intellectual conversations, so it didn't bother me. She then asked me what I was looking for, I was honest and stated friendship. When I countered, she didn't respond. Instead she asked how long I had identified with the LGBTQ community . . . I was honest and said I didn't identify as being gay, but intimated I was in the exploratory phase and returned the questioning, she didn't respond. She went ghost, but I noticed she changed her parameters in terms of what she was looking for.

After a couple of days, I disabled my account for a few days, when I returned, she messaged me and asked why I left. I found it odd since she changed what she was looking for, technically I wasn't it, and she had ignored my earlier response, especially after a personal disclosure. I was honest and stated that I don't like feeling tied to any form of social media, and felt like that was happening with the app. She eventually responded to my earlier question, stating she identified as "queer", which is not what she has on her profile, so that surprised me. None the less, I suggested that we exchange numbers, because she's intelligent and I do enjoy talking to her. We did. But I get the impression that unless we're talking about deeply personal topics, she's not game. And that's a bit of a concern. I'm all for a deep conversation, but I'm also a fan of organic progression. I kind of feel like this is a game.

Thoughts? This is new to me, so IDK.