1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can sexuality change?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ak7409, Jul 10, 2015.

1. ak7409

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,
    I feel ready to begin coming out to my close friends and perhaps family, who I know are accepting. However, the one thing holding me back is the possibility of me telling them I am gay, only for this to change. I am asking as when I was around 11/12, I was probably around a Kinsey scale 2-3, but only had purely sexual attraction, predominantly to girls. Over the following years, I have slid along that scale to a 6 and now only feel emotional and sexual attraction to other boys. It has been this way for a few years but I worry it may continue to change.

I am paranoid that my orientation may keep changing after I have told people I am gay and then be left explaining why I am seeing a girl in a few years, so, my question is: can sexuality change?

As a footnote, I have never been emotionally attracted to girls, only sexually but have experienced both towards boys.

Thank you!

2. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes sexuality can change. You don't have to come out with a label. You could just tell people that right now you are attracted to guys.

3. Spacewalker

I agree with XenaxGabby!! Ofc it can change. For example, I've considered myself being a lesbian before I 'switched' over to calling myself bi bc that fits more these days. And I came out a second time kind of lol
    And actually what bad things would happen if it changes? You can compare it a bit with your movie taste maybe. It won't stay the same for your whole life but it's also possible that it does.

4. internetperson

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with those two people. And yes, it can change because sexuality is a fluid. I went from being pretty straight to bi and now I'm pretty sure I'm a lesbian. It just takes a lot of time to figure out, but once you do it feels so refreshing.

5. ak7409

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the responses, I was pretty much the same (straight-bi-gay).

However, I have passed the point of no return now and told 4 of my close friends... they are all very supportive and say that is doesn't change how they view me (relieved isn't the word).

6. Fentrion

I think not only sexuality can change, but you can consciously influence in which direction it does.

I used to think I was straight. Then I developed a desire for androgynous guys, and now I'm developing a "taste" for muscular men.

Having been "straight" a few years ago, I have lost almost all sexual desire toward females.