1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lesbian question! (femme vs lipstick)

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by fern, Jul 12, 2015.

1. fern

Out Status:
    Some people
    this question is kind of for other lesbians to answer...but i'm curious if the majority of you consider femme and lipstick lesbian labels to essentially mean the same thing?

some sites i've read distinguish the two and consider femme just someone who identifies with their femininity but doesn't necessarily wear makeup everyday or heels too often...jeans a lot of the time, etc. and other sites seems to say the two are synonyms and mean very feminine girls. Just curious what people actually think

Also just for the sake of learning more - how do you identify yourself? I've heard of the many types including lipstick, femme, butch, dyke, diesel dyke, chapstick, blue jeans femme, soft butch, etc... curious what is actually commonly used.

if blue jean femme is actually commonly used (only saw it referenced once before) i think that's what I am haha

2. Hachi

Honestly all the labels that people and even lesbians themselves place on lesbians kind of give me a headache. Haha!

As far as I'm concerned, lipstick lesbians and femme lesbians are basically the same thing, but (at least in my mind) femme lesbians are like feminine, but on the scale of that, so they can be really feminine or not as much, whereas lipstick lesbians are VERY feminine and are the kind of girl who always does her hair and makeup, very girly, etc.

But really, don't worry about it too much. Trying to label everything will drive you crazy.

3. BiKate

I'm bi but I feel like I lean mostly to girls. For some reason I hate the word femme (how do you even pronounce it?)
    But if I was anything I guess I'd be a blue jean femme.

I mean I'm not butch by any standards. I like looking feminine, but I also don't wear make up ever and don't even own any, don't really care about my nails and good luck getting me into high heels. I do like how I look in some dresses but its very rare that I'll wear one. I prefer jeans and a nice fitting shirt.

But I dunno. I don't think labels are that important to me. I don't care whether a girl wears dresses every day, tries to look masculine, has long hair, short hair, no hair, make up or no make up, I'll probably find her attractive and if she's got a good personality I'll be crushing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. femmeandfab

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure if this is actually correct, but I always thought the distinction was that lipstick lesbians are femme lesbians who date other femmes.

So identification as femme in lieu of "lipstick lesbian" would indicate a preference towards non-femmes.

5. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ Yeah I remember reading somewhere that lipstick lesbians date other feminine women and femmes date butch women.

6. fern

Out Status:
    Some people
    ah interesting! I didn't realize that to some femme suggests that you are interested in butch. good to know.

I guess if I were to describe myself I'd be bluejean femme interested in other bluejean femmes :slight_smile: haha

7. and323

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never even heard of that before, I always thought femme lesbians and lipstick lesbians were the same thing! I've also never heard of a "blue jeans" lesbian before D:

But this got me curious so I literally just googled everything and turns out most sites say that there is a difference. I also had usually considered myself more of a chapstick lesbian, but I guess I would identify more under a blue-jeans lesbian since I tend to wear make-up still, albeit it usually only being mascara and eyeliner with some light concealer. The more you know.

8. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just consider myself a girly-girl and leave it at that:slight_smile:

9. fern

Out Status:
    Some people
    yeah i used to think chapstick sounded right too - but it seems that might suggest you're more masculine than feminine. who knows! haha there's just so many terms and so many different interpretations of each of them. i just thought it was an interesting topic and was wondering what people actually used, if any!