1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you just stop feeling attraction??

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by suchconfusion, Jul 15, 2015.

1. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was just wondering, have any of you ever been at a point where you no longer feel sexual or romantic attraction? I've kind of been in that place for 6 months and it really makes me worried because it's unlike anything I've experienced before. Granted, I'm only 17 but, even so...

I know you can't "become" a sexuality, but is it possible at all to develop into something like aromantic??? Or is it just that I no longer feel a need to be with anybody? It's mind boggling because I want to be romantically attracted to someone but I can't be., even if I try.

Also, it's different, but I worry I switched off my feelings as a defense mechanism. Figuring out my sexuality was honestly so frustrating and mentally debilatating that it affected how I acted and how I did my work. I wonder sometimes if I was hurting so much my mind decided to give me anesthesia and it's still going.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I did a thread on this a while ago and it's been messing with my head even more recently. To just lose the ability to be romantically attached? I really can't perceive "being in love" any more. I just can't.

I'd love any insight or advice at all. Thanks so much :lol:

Edit: pls help me delete the second thread, I accidentally uploaded twice :<

#1 suchconfusion, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    These things happen. I have been there, after stress or other things. It does happen and it can happen to almost anyone.

It's possible to lose your romantic interest for a while. You have not had it for some time. Do you have hobbies or so or things you do that when you focus on it could have made you forget about romance?

Do you feel like you were maybe very stressed and therefore your brain said "that's enough" or were you actually emotionally and/or mentally pained?

It could be that it will pass in time. Romantic and/or sexual interest can come and go in terms of intensity.
    Maybe you could imagine your dream partner and have a little fantasy for yourself and see how you feel or something?

You seem anxious about your sexuality. Do you have a way of relaxing? It could help you feel more calm.