1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's with the compulsory bisexuality for everyone?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by LooseMoose, Jul 16, 2015.

1. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like from every corner of the LGBT community I am being told that I am not gay, despite the fact that I feel so.

I've read a post just now on tumblr (yeah I know) where a lesbian basically told a person who asked whether 'biromantic homosexuals' are gay-that they are not- and should not call themselves that. That dividing orientation into romantic and sexual is 'homophobic'- and that because of this *any* attraction to more than one gender (even if it is not sexual) automatically equals 'not gay'.

Nothing will make me sexually attracted to men- and yet I am told by proxy that I am not gay? (because I also fall under biromantic homosexual).

In other places I read posts in the name of increasing bisexual visibility, that people who exhibit any form of flexibility, are in fact bisexual.

Well again I am not- I am flexible in that I can like a person as a person- and it took me a long time to come out, but I am not attracted to maleness, masculinity or any of this + I don't want to have sex with a man.

Is this so difficult to grasp-? That flexibility in attraction can exist, without it necessarily implying a desire to act and actual capacity for bisexuality?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I understand what you mean that our community is starting to promote bisexuality for everyone. I see it mostly on Tumblr (Yeah I know bad example) but It's leaking in real life too. Happened to a friend of mine when she went to a LGBT support group.

Personally, I've seen two sides of this. As you said, the lesbians who experience any sort of flexibility are told they can't be gay anymore and have to be bi now, which I agree is too strict of a definition.

However, I am more rigid- a 6 on the scale and I've still been told by similar people that I must be bi too because "How can I not give men a chance" and "Stop being so shallow".

Either way, it looks more like us lesbians (whether you're more flexible or rigid, doesn't matter) are being kicked out of the community.

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    in the end what other people think means very little. What matters is how you feel, what you want, and how you see yourself. It's *your* identity. No one else's. Labels are like splitting hairs. They are ambiguous and subjective. Even if you have some romantic attraction to guys if you don't want to be with a guy and are not sexually attracted that is good enough.

4. starm

I say they are not being truthful really.