1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you classify your orientation?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Seagypsy, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Seagypsy

OK so labels aren;t always helpful, but they can be sometimes.

I just wondered how people decide what to label themselves, if they choose to do so.

For example, I don't call myself gay or lesbian, because to me that would mean fancying women, only women, and quite a lot of women, whereas that's not me.

I fancy some women and some men, but usually more men than women (usually just non-binary, bisexual people). But one girl, I love so much that every time I spend time with her, I feel completely gay and I just know I could be happy with her forever.
    Even if I like guys and could fall for them at the same time, I still love her more. So even though that's just one girl, can I call myself gay? I do like other girls too, but not as much as her, she's like a soul mate to me. I feel totally contented in her presence, and feel like we should be together. It's so tempting to just hug and kiss her in the office.... but that would embarrass her too much.

But I have heard of women who only realise they're gay when they meet one special woman, even if they dated guys before, and they now say they're gay. I'm not sure if I could use that label if I like guys too though?

Alot of people say they're gay/lesbian if they can fall in love with a woman, well I can fall for this one woman but I usually fall for guys?!

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2015 at 10:14 PM ----------

So I guess I'm asking, is it the Quantity of same-sex people you love that makes you gay, or the Quality of the relationships that you can have with them???

#1 Seagypsy, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  2. mochii

I identify as gay/lesbian/queer, but I don't know why, I don't feel that comfortable saying "I'm 'a' lesbian," it just feels like I'm sticking myself in a tiny box and being a lesbian is the only thing that defines me, so saying "I'm gay" feels nicer and more me.

As for you, like everyone says, whatever feels best. You could stick with bi, because you are also attracted to men, and I'm guessing that attraction never actually goes away. People who identify as lesbian are not always solely attracted to women, but for the most part lean towards women over men. Do you feel like the gay label fits you well? You can always keep the bi label while in homosexual relationships, even if you are in a gay relationship for the rest of your life. I think queer could be something to think about as well, because it basically covers any label but straight.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Pansexual feels kind of mmmm. Just feels right :slight_smile: Like, I have some preferences, but right now that's what I'm rolling with because it fits me the best.

4. Sevan

Hi!

I separate my defining terms into two groups, and for a reason. There's what I call first stage attraction, which is physically based. And second stage attraction, which is romantically based. When it comes to sexual attraction for me, I'm in a gray area of asexuality where I can feel sexual attraction, but only to a person I have a deep, emotional bond with.
    As for romantically, I'm pan. I can go right on ahead and be romantically attracted to literally anyone.

There's not quantifiable amount that is the labeling point of 'gay'. It's that same paradox where you have a pile of sand and keep adding one grain at a time. At what point does the pile become a mound? A mound become a hill? A hill become a mountain? It doesn't matter.

The Kinsey Scale displays the spectrum of attraction between hetero attraction and homo attraction quite well. Take a look at it. You could simply be leaning towards one gender more than the other. There's no problems with that. And the number of times you fall in love with either gender should not diminish the amount of love you have in each relationship, just because you are more prone to one than the other.

It's like getting ice cream. You usually go for strawberry, but sometimes go for chocolate. Doesn't make it any less delicious! The quality is the same.

There are all kinds of terms to look into. But the one I would recommend you check out and see if you align with is heteroflexible. Or simply calling yourself bi with a male preference is good enough, too. Just look for what makes you comfortable.

5. Silver Sparrow

Hi Seagypsy! I identify as bisexual, pansexual, and queer, as well as sometimes identifying as not fitting into any label in particular. My identity/choice of labels has varied widely over time. There was a friend of mine who made little pride charm thingies. When she asked which one she should make for me, I told her to make like five. I'd use them at one time or another.
    I've never been in a relationship. Behavior does not dictate identity, and you should certainly look for what feels right for you. And if something doesn't feel right, that's perfectly okay too. I know there have been times where labels just aren't for me. Ultimately, what's right for you is what's right for you!

6. DeadheadPride

Being somewhere inbetween bisexual and gay, I like to say I'm bihomosexual. I first saw it here and thought "That's me!" because it means I like everyone, but tend to lean more towards my own gender. I tell people I'm gay and bisexual though, but it confuses them, so I really enjoy this label. So yeah, maybe this would work for you? Anyways, I feel like putting yourself in a group with a label helps you communicate and associate with others in that group, even if it's only a select few who belong to it.

7. Miko

Miko Guest

I'm really proud of the term lesbian to describe my sexuality, because even though I COULD fall for a guy, they'd have to be a femboy, as in, looks like a girl. Even then I'd not really want to do anything with their genitals, so lesbian fits that nicely, I only like female aspects of individuals in terms of the physical, in terms of the mental I prefer girls to guys but I don't care what ones gender is so long as they are physically attractive to me, which always means being female in quite a few regards at the least. So again, lesbian fits that.

I'd say in terms of yourself and the question you're asking only you can answer. If you CAN fall for both then go with bisexual but if you heavily lean one way or another, then hetroflexible or homoflexible. If like me you can only love the opposite sex if they meet VERY specific conditions (e.g. being physically female or almost entirely physically female) then you'd be gay.

Just my opinion anyway, at the end of the day you're going to have the answers to your own question, we're just here to help.

8. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fought with the gay label for a while, but identifying as bisexual just feels right. I have a much easier time coming out as bisexual then gay. It just feels like me. Simply put, I like both guys and girls, and definitely in different ways. Right now I'm with a guy, but it doesn't disregard the my attractions to girls. If anything, being with my boyfriend has allowed me to realize that in the end, I still like both genders!

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Well I don't see how the quantity has anything to do with sexuality, but rather the gender themselves. Of course others may see it differently.

I identify as a lesbian because I'm ONLY attracted to women, as in I will never make an exception for men. However, I am not attracted to most women, It's more like less than 0.1% of all women in the world. This is where labels get confusing, I feel asexual most of the time (as in I find next to no one attractive, not an issue with sex drive) but I don't think that fits either. So I just call myself gay and clarify that I'm not all that attracted to women as a whole, just very rare/certain kinds.

10. starm

I'd call me a transsexual I like woman and trans females...

11. MetalRice

I classify myself as a bisexual with a preference for women, because that best describes my feelings and attractions as a whole.

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say it's quality over quantity, but I've never been in a relationship before.

13. Seagypsy

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
    This makes sense. I fancy less than 0.1% of all people in the world too, but most of those are bisexual men and a few of them are bisexual women.

I think pansexual describes me best but I don't like the word because 'pan' means 'all' as in fancying everyone, which is the opposite of me!

14. wolf of fire

I use both bisexual and pansexual to describe myself.

15. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Probably homoromantic bisexual.

16. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I'm aromantic asexual because I have absolutely zero need or desire for sexual intimacy and feel no sexual attraction. However, this is a temporary label that is mainly there to give me peace of mind about not wanting to be in a relationship and not seeking out a relationship. After transitioning, I will probably test out dating and see how I feel about it, I know that I am attracted to women in a romantic sense at the moment, I can just not see myself in such a relationship in a male body, it feels wrong to me.

No matter what, I believe that if you have some doubt about who you are attracted to, you should just follow your instincts and if you feel an attraction simply accept it and ask that person on a date if you are up to it. Don't limit yourself because of a label that might not be completely accurate.

17. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

I consider both quality and quantity of the relationships but quality is more important.
    I consider myself biromantic. Still trying to figure out the sexual orientation part but I'm pretty sure i am bisexual.

18. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Well, first off when it came to labels, I honestly looked for the ones that fit me. They don't define me entirely but it's close.

With my sexuality, I'm on the asexual spectrum (I'm not sex repulsed but sex really isn't on my mind lol) since I've never felt sexually attracted to anyone. With my romantic orientation, I'm pretty much aromantic (which was honestly a lot harder to pinpoint than my sexuality) but I do find people aesthetically pleasant regardless of gender identity.

19. mochii

Oooo I 100% relate to this but I could never put it into words with the whole femboy thing, and not being fully into them sexually. :eusa_clap

20. internetperson

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm like 99% sure I'm gay and I really like the term "gay". I feel like it fits me better than "I'm a lesbian". I think I like gay so much because the word makes me feel happy, strong, and proud of who I am! :slight_smile:

It's whatever suits you and feels right. Go with your instinct. <3