1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of the 'new labels' mean "gay" and which "bi"? What is "gay" these days?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by LooseMoose, Jul 19, 2015.

1. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been described as panromantic or biromantic and homosexual.

I guess technically this might be true, but I am not even entirely sure what 'romantic' means in this context. I guess it fits, because in the past I've fallen in love with people despite their male gender. I am also somehow attracted to people regardless of gender in a non-particularly sexual way. eg. I can imagine certain physical activity with men such as cuddling etc- but the attraction is not really that strong. In the past I've forced it to be sexual- but now I don't think I could anymore.

I still very much feel that 'gay/lesbian' is right for me, because I am not really able to relate with the opposite sex in a way which would make me feel really connected to them- be it emotionally or sexually & I really feel I'd be happy only with a woman. So I don't really identify strongly with the secondary labels.

But their existence, and the fact that can also be used to describe me, makes me feel kind of unsettled I guess?
    Because when somebody says 'biromantic' and 'homosexual' -does it 'really' mean 'gay'- or 'bi'? What about the other way around 'bisexual' and 'homoromantic' etc.?

I know the new labels are pretty much based on self- identification & I 've seen biromantic homosexuals use 'gay' 'because I only want to be with same sex' or 'bisexual homoromantics say "I am gay because I don't have casual sex and I only fall in love with opposite sex" - and similarly both use the bi label based on the fact that they can imagine being with both. Etc.

It is nice to have the ability to self-identify, but I also feel that it gives people and groups the right to reject others as not really belonging- eg I've encountered the opinion that biromantic and homosexual is 'not gay', due to the existence of "some attraction to the opposite sex". It makes me, personally split hairs about all various kinds of attraction that I experience, making me focus on what makes me gay, as opposed to just bi.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the term 'biromantic'- and I don't fall under it, and maybe those labels are 'bullshit labels' as Chip likes to say- but they exist, and they seem to be totally open to interpretation.

And this seems to shrink the pool of what is considered legitimately gay, and what not. And Gay seem to be loosing its umbrella status, and I a not even sure what constitutes 'gay' these days.

I mean this is in contrast to an understanding of all of this even a few years ago- eg. I started reading the book 'Bi any other way' which is about affirmation of bisexuality, and in it under 'myths'- was 'bisexuals are not gay' - and the 'truth' was stated as 'nongays lump us all together. Bisexuals have lost their jobs, and suffer the same legal discrimination as other gays'.
    So in this book 'gay' is simply seen as people who have relationships with the same sex, including bisexuals- because this is what mattered politically- in addition to that bisexuals wanted to be more visible in their own right as bisexual AND legitimate part of the gay movement. So 'gay' was used in the way that 'queer' or 'lgbt' is used today.

But I digress. The bottom line is that I personally feel like there is a higher burden to prove that you are legitimately and 'really gay', the boundary between 'gay' and 'bi' has become very rigid eg. 99% gay will be considered as 'not really gay' by some people and at the same time the new labels will be handed out freely, without them really meaning anything or being defined clearly. If everything is open to interpretation- including the belonging of a label under 'bi' or 'gay' then what is the point of labelling people at all?

(and on a side note: how did the community move from bi activists claiming 'bisexuals are also gay' to 'calling same sex marriage 'gay marriage'' is bi erasure'?? )

All this makes me feel like I am constantly short of legitimacy as a gay person. That I constantly have to prove to myself that I am 100% gay and not 99%, because if I am 99% I don't belong anymore. It just makes me second guess, and worry and obsess and just not know where I stand. It is tiring.

2. KayJay

This is my problem with all these new labels as well. It'll make it so difficult for people learning about themselves to figure it out because all these new things popping up without much research or confirmation these labels need to be used. Im sure many people feel differently about it because that's their experience and I can't tell them what label they are, aren't, can or can't be. It divided the community even further apart when that shouldn't be, we are all after the same thing, why be offended by all these labels you know? I'm all for people labelling themselves as they wish, I just don't like that it can make someone's learning process unessesarily complex.

Sounds like you should call yourself gay/lesbian. If you can see the appeal of guys but feel like you have to force being sexual than that is gay. You don't have to prove that to anyone.

The biromantic means you can be romantically attracted to both sexes while homosexual implies you only are sexually attracted to the same sex. It doesn't particularly seem needed to add biromantic because no one needs to really know that. You can like guys but if you don't want to be sexual with them relationships would be difficult. So you're gay it would seem, to me.

I apologize to anyone if I've offended you. I don't have anything against anyone who uses any label (maybe things like otherkin though, that's a bit absurd).

#2 KayJay, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

You seem a bit obsessed with this topic, and you really shouldn't let other people's perceptions of identities invalidate your own. There are different shades of homosexuality and bisexuality.

4. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your post- it kind of makes me feel less alone in my thoughts on this :slight_smile:
    I agree that it has made the whole thing too complex- which is not a bad thing in itself- but I think the vagueness and openes to interpretation has effect on everyone- because as a reaction people who fall under the 'classic' labels have become more rigid about who is allowed to use them.

Eg in the biromantic/homosexual example people will be delegitimised as gay, because now gay means 'exclusive attraction' so even *some* flexibility pushes people out from under the label. I don't need to mention it- and I don't, I am rather rigid in what I want to do- so don't feel like I need to identify with flexibility, but the existence of these attitudes basically makes me on edge all the time, careful about what I disclose, and insecure- when the community should really be about empowerment.

---------- Post added 19th Jul 2015 at 02:43 PM ----------

I know. I do have some anxiety issues, so I tend to take this probably a bit too personally- but the bottom line kind of remains for others as well, that there is a lot of unnecessary complexity and vagueness which has lead to a sense of loss of clarity and certainty, at least for me.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm really sorry you're going through something like this. Also, to clarify my response wasn't meant to offend or blame. I actually related to you at one point as well when it comes to rigid definitions, but for different reasons (I used to hate the word "virgin" for example because straight people defined it as "never had hetero sex" which made me anxious and made me refuse to have any sexual encounters with women since I was afraid they'd still consider me one). However, with enough help and work I was able to move past my issues and realize that my definition was the one that mattered to me and to not let other people's invalidation of my experiences define me.

It is hard though and it takes a LOT of work to become comfortable enough to yourself to the point where you can accept your sexuality and stop doubting. Unfortunately, we can't change rude people or their opinions, but we can spread awareness and feel comfortable with ourselves and our own definitions of ourselves (and to help others who have been hurting for similar reasons) *hugs*

6. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Thank you for your kind words :slight_smile:
    I think I was incredibly lucky to first become really aware and 'nearly' certain of myself in the context of a very affirmative culture - the text I've read, such as 'Ruby Fruit Jungle', or even 'Same Sex in the City'- and the people I've encountered were all inclusive. This was only a few years ago ca 2007/2008.

I don't know what I would do if I only started to become aware of everything now- what if I my first encounter with the community had been through the tumblr crowd? I would still be deep in the closet now. It's such a different landscape from 'gay and bi'.

I get the 'building your own meaning and definitions' and all that jazz & thanks for reminding me of it, but I also think that generally we also need some kind of shared meaning and group belonging based on it, this is important, but instead there is a lot of snarky arguing over who has the right to claim this or that. Its not really helpful to our culture and interests as a whole---I mean my difficulties with it are just an example, I can cope with them- but what about younger people?

*hugs* :slight_smile:

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    (First things first: I am not here to argue and am, understandably, quite exhausted on this topic.)

Self-identification may be seen either as a tool or as a right. Obviously I see it as a right, but I'll see it as a tool for a moment.

As far as sexuality goes, in its most simple form, the labels that pertain to an individual's sexuality is a way to express outwards what one's sexual feelings/preferences are.

Obviously, feelings are complex phenomena and cannot be fully covered by one label, in the sense that nothing is absolute. For example, if a lesbian says "oh, that guy was cute", people might says she's not "really" a lesbian. Which is not true. Because her feelings are mostly/only for girls and she identifies as a lesbian.

But let's say that same lesbian person found guys a little cute and could consider sleeping with a man if offered for sensational pleasure, and doesn't feel like lesbian suits her. She might then sport a label such as homoflexible or "gay but curious".
    If she calls her self homoflexible, she might have to explain to others what that means, and might even be ridiculed, or receive less support because the word is foreign to people and people fear the unknown.

On the other hand, if she would prefer the label to be not entirely descriptive but use a label that fits okay if not perfectly that more people know about to make recognition easier, such as lesbian or bisexual, she could do that.
    As for me, I mostly identify as bisexual when I'm around people IRL, because it's easier. On here, however, where there is more awareness and people know what it means, I use pan because it's more accurate. I might also add something about romance later when I've got that thing more figured out.
    Also, awareness about some of these labels can grow in the future (I mean, it did with "gay" and "bisexual".)

As I see it, the dilemma inherent to this discussion is whether an individual is best off prioritizing accuracy or recognition.
    Which one of those the person should prioritize is, in my opinion, up to the person.

8. Miko

Miko Guest

My feelings on the topic are fairly indifferent. I feel that labels are totally subjective things that can mean one thing for one person and another thing for another person.

That said, I don't think it's wrong to label yourself whatever you want, just so long as you realize that not everyone will know what you mean or even agree with you. The first issue is easily solved, when I see a label I don't understand I always ask the person what they mean and what pronouns they would like, problem solved. The second issue is much more complex as everyone's requirements for legitimacy are different, some require scientific confirmation, some require that you can explain the label in a coherent fashion and others will never accept certain labels. So long as no-one is causing severe harm then there's no problem in people having whatever opinion they so desire.

There is certainly the issue of recognition too, more obscure labels might fit better but ultimately will have more misunderstandings than more generic labels, as Becki said, it's up to the individual which is more important to them. I really don't think that the relatively small number of people using custom-made labels will have a negative effect on the gay community as a whole though, that said I know a lot of MtF/FtM people who refuse to call themselves transgender and instead call themselves transsexual because of how almost anyone can call themselves transgender irrespective of surgery. To those transsexuals the trans part is just a description of a medical condition they need to treat with surgery and nothing more.

You don't have to pass a test to use a label though, it's just subjective. My position on it is go for the label that you want, figure out if recognition or accuracy is more important to you, weigh up the pros and cons of both then roll with it.