1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by benefit25, Jul 21, 2015.

1. benefit25

I posted this in the gender one, but I think the questions are directed to those who are questioning their sexuality

hey guys so i recently realized that i may like women. I was born a girl, and i never did anything really masculine that would indicate that i was mannish or boyish. I wasnt really a tomboy either, as very fragile little girl . I didn't really like dresses but that was just my preference. I love wearing makeup and being girly, however since questioning this thought and association came into my mind that because i like girls then i must be a guy... I know its crazy but I was wondering if anything like this has ever happened to you.. I dont wish to have a penis, and my boobs dont bother me at all. yesterday i had a panic attack because of this. I have a strong persona and i am not the most femenine but i am definitely not a guy or consider myself one. I really don't understand where the fear is coming from. So much is already changing having realized that i may not be straight. but gender identity had never been an issue thus far. I am a jeans and shirt kind of girl, i like dresses (just to party) and i always kind of associated makeup with attracting a guy. so now since all this.. its just been confused. have any of you who have questioned your sexuality questioned your identity? I love my name and being female and the thought of surgery to change my sex is uncanny. This popped into my mind and now i cant get it out. I am so confused.

so my question for those of you questioning.. since you started questioning has your whole identity been affected?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey benefit25,

That doesn't mean anything regarding orientation.

There are lots of gay people that act with actions typically viewed as "men behavior", and there are lots of lesbians who act with actions typically viewed as "women things". Of course, there is nothing wrong in acting outside the stereotype, you are who you are. But the way you act isn't related to your attractions.

Of course, only you can conclude anything about your orientation/gender identity. But, based on what you described, you are confortable being a female, right? It seems you are a cis-woman who likes women, is that right?

You may want to wait someone more qualified than me to answer about gender identity, though, as i am not really experienced with this.

Hugs (*hug*)

3. waternation

waternation Guest

Heya! :smilewave Interesting post, but I think what Chiroptera mentioned about gender stereotyping is relevant. Just because you don't conform to standards of "femininity" doesn't make you any less of a woman^^ and gender expression isn't necessarily linked to sexual orientation.

If you are comfortable being female in regards to your body, your name etc. suggests maybe you're not trans, but as someone who's not trans myself I probably can't speak that well on this; that's just my understanding from what I've read from others. Then again, some people aren't really that disphoric and just feel a need to be male, so, uh.. yeah. I'm hoping that someone who has more knowledge of this will be able to help you too.

Is it just your coming to terms with your sexual orientation that's caused your questioning of gender? Combined with being a 'jeans and t-shirt' girl? As a bi girl who leans more towards girls and would literally feel 1000 times more comfortable in guys boxers and a shirt than a dress or skirt any day I just think I'll mention that there's a difference between gender 'identity' and gender 'expression'. Gender expression is just, (from my understanding)... how you choose to present yourself without necessarily conforming to 'male' 'female' stereotypes, gender identity is more like feeling you ARE a certain gender.

Example of gender expression would be: Female who dresses in male/androgynous clothing, but still identifies as female = female.

Example of trans would be: Biological 'female' who feels they are/is male and identifies as male = male.

Does that make sense?

Hope some more people can help (*hug*)

#3 waternation, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015