1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I actually gay? Bi?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by quietafterrain, Jul 25, 2015.

1. quietafterrain

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I'm currently a 21 year old female, who identifies as a lesbian and haven't really questioned anything about my sexuality until recently. Ever since I realized I was gay, was when I was a sophomore in high school. I haven't questioned by sexuality until then, and have stuck with it since. I've had two girlfriends, one when I was in high school for about a month and another in college for almost a few months. I have never had sex with men or women, but have kissed both (mostly at parties playing spin the bottle). I've had feelings for girls as early as when I was around 12, but have experienced crushes on guys when I was younger. I have always felt more sexually and romantically attracted to girls, but still have had intense crushes on guys in the past (that usually don't last very long), and never felt romantically or sexually attracted to guys. When I first came out I thought I was bi, but later on identified more with being gay. Idk, recently I came out to a couple relatives and they said a bunch of typical stuff that you hear like that I'm still too young and what not, and suggested i try and date guys to really see if I'm gay or not. To be honest, I've wondered at times if I identify as being gay, because that's what I've been comfortable with for quite a while, or some family members think it's "influence" from having LGBT friends... but if I thought back on when I was younger, I've had crushes on girls in late elementary and middle school, and thought of kissing girl friends before i even knew what it meant to be gay or knew much about the LGBT community. I hadn't made friends with an LGBT people or learned more about the community until high school. Idk, what do you guys think?

2. bi2me

Welcome to EC! There are plenty of people who don't figure out their sexuality until later in life, but it seems like you have a pretty good idea of whom you are interested in seeing. Take time for yourself to make sure (as much as you can) what/who you want, but I wouldn't let relatives or friends decide for me.

Sexuality can be fluid/on a continuum, so it may change a bit over time. Good luck!