1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay guy - have way way more success on gay dating apps than straight

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Confuseddude, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Confuseddude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi Guys,

I'm probably gay. Well I'm probably bisexual but I'm definitely not straight. Spent 23 years 100% convinced I was straight so having a complicated time figuring shit out now. I've recently spent quite a lot of time on what I'm pretty sure is currently the most popular straight mobile dating app - rhymes with ginger if I'm aloud to say that :slight_smile:

Anyway, I've generally used it as a straight dating app and I have had very limited success. I'd consider myself to be nothing special but not ugly. I'm 6'6 and mixed race so I'm perhaps a little more 'niche' than some but I would have thought my profile would pick up a few matches. Those not familiar with the app - it's incredibly shallow, it involves looking at between 1-6 photos of someone, sometime accompanied by a short paragraph and then swiping the screen to indicate whether you like them or not. If both people like each other then it's a match and you can talk to each other. Incredibly shallow but also good fun!

After a couple of months of use and quickly flicking through literally hundreds and hundreds probably thousands of girls, I've managed to match with perhaps 10-15 average looking girls. I recently changed my search preferences to show me only men and in the space of about 5 minutes and maybe 50 profiles, I had matched with the same number of men, good looking ones too.

Wow - does this mean that I actually look completely gay in photos. When it's nothing but an image in the photo. I know that men are probably easier to match with anyway and a higher percentage of matches was almost inevitable but it looks like I'm 50-100 times more attractive to gay guys than straight girls lol.

Anybody experienced anything similar or got any input?

---------- Post added 26th Jul 2015 at 07:37 PM ----------

Don't mind posting my image here come to think of it........

[​IMG]

What do you think - am I looking very gay lol?

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haven't used that app, or the other one that rhymes with it, or any other actually, not yet anyway

But your experience doesn't exactly surprise me:
    -when you think of it, it's usually simple for str8 people to go up to someone of the opposite sex and chat them up, see if there's interest, ask them out, etc... because the math of demographics is in their favor
    -for un-str8 people (gay bi pan whatever) it's a little less obvious which is why the app gets used a lot more
    -and there may be the fact the apps appeal to the hookup culture that might be a bit more prevalent with guys, just another wild guess

back to the picture, I personally get a very neutral read from it (i.e. wouldn't guess from the pic but wouldn't be shocked) - maybe it's because i've been trying real hard to never assume orientation based on looks or simple behaviour alone - maybe it's your choice of beverage? :wink:

3. Confuseddude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Cheers for the reply.

I don't think it's the fact there are more guys on the app. The app I chose is actually far more popular with straight people but I think your last point regarding the hook up culture could be onto something. I would have expected some increase in the number of matches I got - just not the astronomical rise that I experienced.

Haha - yeah I seem to have gone for a manly beer for my display pic :grin:
    I would definitely have agreed that it's a pretty neutral photo but its incredibly hard to judge myself. I've always had an awful 'gaydar' at the best of times. How could I work out if anyone else is gay if I can't even work out if I'm gay :grin: