1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluidity of Sexuality Totally Contradicts "We Were Born This Way"

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Foz, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Foz

Foz Guest

These are my thoughts, both are at complete odds with each other. If we were "born gay", then how does changing sexuality due to 'fluidity' fit in with that?

FIGHT!

[​IMG]

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Sexuality is somewhat of a social construct if you think about it, but at the same time sexuality can be rigid too It's just more rare.

3. seeking

I think it just depends on the person.... I think fluidity really means that at age 20 you may identify as Lesbian/gay and at age 30 you identify as bisexual.

I think sexuality doesn't change.. i think people find out more about their sexuality and thus it can change. Then for some people their sexuality never changes.

Fluidity just means more self-discovery in my book.

4. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sexual orientation is often mistakenly viewed both as our innate sexuality and as our current perception of what our sexuality is. This is where the confusion about fluidity originates.

Human sexuality is undoubtedly rigid in the sense that a person is born with a certain orientation which remains stable throughout a person's life. If a person is homosexual there is no known way to change that person's orientation to something else.

However, a person's sexuality does in fact change according to their circumstances. A person who is bisexual might view themselves as homosexual or heterosexual depending on the period of their lives. Someone who defines themselves as demisexual might some day realize that they were heterosexual all along. These changes are changes in a person's sexual identity which includes all the various expressions of sexuality such as pansexual, heteroromantic and others... we use these labels to define ourselves and label our current impression of our sexuality.

For example, lets say a person defines themselves as homosexual and later on learns of the label homoromantic and chooses to adopt that label. Has that person's sexuality really changed or is it exactly the same sexuality that it was before the change?

Fluidity also relates to changes in sexual libido and desire. Many changes of orientation are in fact changes in expression of their sexual orientation. Someone who becomes asexual later on in life is often simply affected by life changes such as increased stress levels, medical issues or changes in sexual libido as a result of age. Their orientation never really changes and they are still wired to be attracted to the same sex/es, however, their sexual identity does in fact change and they really do become asexual, because that is how they choose to define themselves...

In the end, our sexual identity is often more important to us than our sexual orientation as it helps us navigate the world and understand ourselves in relation to others. However, figuring out what our sexual orientation is, is extremely important as if we don't adhere to our innate sexual orientation we often suffer from mental anguish caused by the repression of our sexuality.

#4 Eveline, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. Leifa

I agree with this...there's always more to learn about yourself.

6. Sarii

It doesn't even matter anyway, if I had a choice and chose to be attracted to guys, shouldn't that be included in my "freedom"?

7. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As defined by kinsey scale fluidity occurs between the numbers which come under the preview of bisexuality, a person who is Kinsey 5 may Identify to be gay initially and then realise he has some feelings to the opposite sex too , it could also mean circumstantial movement up n down the scale inside the bisexuality range of kinsey scores. Furthermore scientific research has only stated that sexuality cant be forcefully changed which means that some amount of change may occur on its own. And there is research work which says that sexuality is not as fluid in men or gets fixed earlier on in life and rarely changes...we should also consider the fact that sexual orientation is reported based on what a person tells , a person can report what they like for whatever purpose, for example a bisexual women may identify as lesbian because she is done with men, such personal reasons could also project fluidity.

8. lettuce

I don't think they're necessarily at odds. Fluidity could vary between person to person just like orientation. That means that someone could still be born gay and not be sexually fluid at all.

But that doesn't mean that fluidity isn't just a person discovering their fixed orientation. I don't really know enough about it to make a judgement on it.