1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's love...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Emmab2802, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Emmab2802

How would you describe love in a relationship? Im not talking about the beginning honeymoon "in love" im talking about love in a longer term relationship. How do you know you love them the "right" way?

2. bi2me

I think love changes over time and is unique to each couple/group. I've been with my husband for 13 years as married people, and for nearly 10 before that - we've dated since high school.

He feels like home to me. We fit each other. We know each other so well, that we can be with and around each other without a lot of upset. We rarely fight (like once or twice a year), because we make communication a priority. We think about each other's needs, desires, and feelings, and we take those into account when we do things.

There is definitely less excitement (in that breathy I can't believe we are actually doing this way from when I was 18) in the bedroom than when we were first together, but also a lot more satisfaction, gentleness, and caring for each other. We make sex a priority in our relationship, because for us, it works.

Does that help?

3. seeking

I must say congrats for being together for so long.

I agree with bi2me. I think love changes over time and is unique to each couple/group. There are so many forms of relationships and it works differently for each person.

I think in the end you define what love is by what boundaries you set up and what you consider to be respect.

Because one person may think Monogamy shows a loving respectful relationship and to another person Polygamy shows a loving respectful relationship. To one person speaking proper is respect and to another person being blunt even if that means cussing is showing respect.

So i think you have to really write/figure out what boundaries you would set and what you consider to be respect. Love i think has an individual meaning to each person and the meaning is not always the same.

(not saying there is no such thing as unhealthy love/unhealthy relationships)

You will know when you found someone you love because you would feel at peace/at home with the person/people. (not saying there won't be bumps in the road)

Hope i helped a little. :icon_bigg

#3 seeking, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  4. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think part of the reason it's hard to define love is because of how the media portrays it. I can't articulate it, but I know I was in love once, and it's not easy to fall out of love, but possible.

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the honeymoon phase, love is intense attraction and excitement that you get from starting a new relationship.
    It's about compromise, communication, loyalty, and still keeping some of that excitement alive.
    You're not gonna agree with your partner about everything, and it's necessary to try to fix whatever it is, together, rather than getting hung up on your ideas and not listening to theirs. What loyalty means is different for every relationship. its important to discuss with your partner what is okay an not okay and respect those boundaries. It's true that it isn't as exciting as the first month, but you can't let the "spark" die. Doing little things to show your partner you love them really go a long way, and it makes it work.

I've been in a serious relationship for six months, and still going with it. The honeymoon phase, I was intensely attracted to her and found her perfect and wante to be together 24/7 and so did she. After it ended, it caused a one-month fight between us, because I was still in that phase while she wasn't, and we both said terrible things to each other and nearly broke up so many times. We realized we wanted to be together because we really love each other, so we compromised and made it better. Now, it's different, but amazing. It feels comfortable to be with her and I have someone I can always rely on and is loyal to me no matter what happens. The fights have been less because we talk about it in a calm manner.

6. Emmab2802

Thank you everyone!