1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like I'm in between bi and pan - help?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by molsen7961, Aug 2, 2015.

1. molsen7961

Let me disclaim this by saying that my personal definition of a pansexual is someone that is attracted to both gender binaries and gender non-binaries, while bisexuals are only attracted to gender binaries. I'm well aware that people's definitions of these terms vary, and that some people use the terms interchangeably, but to me it's important to make a distinction, because if both terms were synonymous, we would be leaving out a huge group - those attracted to gender binaries only.

I find that while I'm physically attracted to both girls and guys, I don't necessarily find lesbian sex appealing, although I wouldn't be opposed to participating in it. At the same time, I find that I have a much deeper emotional connection with girls, and feel much more romantically attracted to them. I can picture myself spending my life with either a girl or guy, but the fact that I don't necessarily find lesbian sex to be appealing confuses me.

Also, I find that I'm attracted to some of the non-binary genders, but not all of them. For example, I think I would be okay dating someone with boobs and a penis (if they appeared feminine), or no boobs and a vagina (if they appeared masculine). Gender fluid people would depend on the person and their appearance...because it would be hard for me to like them if they appeared to masculine in their female form/to feminine in their masculine form. I don't find agendered people to be attractive at all (not to be offensive, I just wouldn't want to date them).

So I'm just all in all confused. I'm not sure about my attraction to women and am attracted to some non-binary genders, so I can't exactly call myself bisexual. And even if I were to say that I am definitely attracted to both men and women, because I'm not attracted to all the non-binary genders, and because gender does play a role for me, I can't call myself pansexual either.

So how can I define my sexuality? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Honest4You

Honest4You Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not an expert on pansexuality but I would assume that there are different levels and degrees of being pan sexual no different than to those that exist in other sexualities. I guess your confusion lies more with how you feel about intimacy with cisgendered women?

3. molsen7961

I had another thread and someone told me about polysexuality...which is exactly what I am - attracted to multiple genders but not all of them.

Yes, I am confused about that as well. I saw your comment on my other thread, so thank you for that. I'm no where near getting into a relationship or feeling any type of real intimacy with anyone of any gender (I'm only 16) but I'm still trying to sort out my feelings about it all

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You definitely fit the definition of bisexual (not your own definition, but the one that is used by the bisexual community to define ourselves) and the definition of polysexual. You do not fit the definition of pansexual because you are not attracted to all genders.

5. molsen7961

Can you explain what exactly the distinction is between bisexual and pansexual is? Because obviously, my definition is personal to me, and I know a lot of people don't agree with it.

6. Garnet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, I saw your other thread. Most people describe it like:
    Bisexual: when you like two or more genders but not all.
    Pansexual: when you like all genders/ when you like people regardless of their gender.

But there are different definitions and you could always use polysexual.

7. molsen7961

Thank you...I've always hated that people that people said bisexuals could be attracted to non-binary genders, because I assumed they were using the term interchangeably with pansexual, meaning they were excluding a huge group (those not attracted to non-binary genders). But now that I understand that people aren't actually using the terms interchangeably, I think I like the term bisexual better, because it provides more visibility and is easier to explain than polysexual, because most people haven't heard of it. Thank you...I've been confused about the whole bisexual vs pansexual thing for months and no one seemed to have a clear answer :slight_smile:

8. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the definition given. I would say that some people do like all genders but ID as bisexual for political/personal/whatever reasons, but for the most part that is entirely accurate. The main difference between bisexual and pansexual is just that to be bi, you don't have to like all genders. You can be only attracted to binary genders, but you can also be attracted to many or all genders.

I ID as bi because I like people of most genders, but I can't guarantee that I like people of all genders, and because it is definitely more well known than polysexual, so it requires much less explanation.

9. Garnet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You're welcome :slight_smile: I'm glad I helped you.

10. Seagypsy

Well I'm attracted to non-binary genders and I feel Bisexual covers it, I'm sure it's not just for those who are only attracted to the extremes of binary genders. I'd be inclined to call that Polar-sexual because to me, feminine women and masculine men are two separate poles of the gender spectrum! My attractions are usually to people who are not at either of those extremes.