1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bisexual in heterosexual relationship

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by fern, Aug 5, 2015.

1. fern

Out Status:
    Some people
    does anyone else find it really frustrating being in a heterosexual relationship but identifying as bisexual??

even though I consider myself comfortable in my sexuality I get frustrated when people assume i'm straight or when, after saying i'm bi, people kinda of brush it off like "yeah...sure...okay" and don't take my coming out to them seriously or even legitimate because I'm "clearly" straight and dating a guy now....or just think i'm joking altogether and literally laugh and change the subject.

If anyone else has experienced this have you found a better way to explain it to people so that they'll take you seriously? I feel like the only way people will actually accept my bisexuality is if I was in a homosexual relationship it's very frustrating.:tantrum:

2. timetraveltea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes.

I feel like some people don't take me seriously. I came out last year even though I was in a heterosexual relationship. I did it because it was important to me to 1) not feel like I was hiding something and 2) I wanted people to realize that yes, bisexuals are still bi if they are in a relationship. People can be so assuming, and it really irks me.

I've heard some people explain it as like being attracted to people with certain hair colors; even if you are dating a person with blond hair, you can still be attracted to people with red hair. The attraction doesn't just go away.

It's frustrating, but I'd like to think that the world is becoming a more understanding place. :slight_smile:

#2 timetraveltea, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  3. fern

Out Status:
    Some people
    hopefully that's true. I feel like I've totally backtracked because about 3 years ago I was pretty much only dating girls and had come out to all my friends and was very open about it, i felt great and super confident with my sexuality. Then I moved....across the world. And almost immediately met a guy and we've been dating since. It's weird because everyone HERE knows me as just being a girl with a boyfriend and therefore it's just assumed I'm straight and sexuality never really comes up.

It feels really weird that everyone I've met in the last few years and all the new friends I've made just don't know about this big part of me, I feel like I'm almost unwillingly put back in the closet not because I don't want to be out, but just because it's kind of weird to go out of my way to make sure people know I'm bi when I'm currently in a hetero relationship. and the few times I HAVE mentioned it to new friends down here I get the opinion they just kind of don't believe it because clearly "now i'm not gay."

just so frustrating. I don't wanna feel like I'm hiding something but the situation I'm in makes me feel like that. =\ even though I do identify as bi (with a strong preference for women) I feel like the only way I'll feel confident with my sexuality is to be a woman.

#3 fern, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015