1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

its a long story, but I am confused as all get out.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by hiimpaul2014, Aug 10, 2015.

1. hiimpaul2014

I haven't been on in a while and I haven't posted in even longer. I tried to just live my life and let things happen as they happen, but I truly don't know what my sexual orientation is. I tried using the bisexual label, didn't feel right, I tried the gay label, didn't feel right; I have tried the queer label, didn't feel right. The closest one to right is using the straight label, but that's not who I am is it? I guess here is my life story.

i'm 21, male. growing up I didn't have many crushes on anyone. I remember looking at one guy's arm in elementary school because it looked big to me. I remember looking at some wrestlers in a magazine in 6th grade because they were muscular. moving on to later the same year. I wanted to ask a girl out to our valentine's day dance. I was super shy and nervous about it. I really liked this girl. we went to the dance, but I am not a dancer. 7th grade I liked this other girl but she liked my brother. I have had a few girls really truly interested in me, but I just can't seem to be interested back (starting 5th grade until now.) there were 2 other girls I was interested in through high school and 1 that I was interested in from another school I met one summer. All through high school I would catch myself looking at guys that were more muscular. Occasionally I would find my self googling muscular guys. (I never searched for girls online). I had one woman message me when I first got a social media account offering me a good time and I was freaked out by it. I was taught to not trust strangers online and all of that. I typically seem to get aroused by muscular men, but only when I really think about them and women I don't seem to get all that aroused when I see them, but that's who I want to have a real relationship with. I did have one girl I danced with in middle school that I actually danced with and got picked on for it, but looking back it was playful fun kind of picking. I have always been called gay growing up because I am more sensitive to just about everything emotionally and physical pain. I am also really skinny which resulted in more "gay" jokes.

my attraction to muscular guys hasn't gone away, but its changed. I get aroused looking at them, but only when I imagine myself taking on the more masculine qualities of the guy. I, on rare occasion feel like I am aroused by sheer power as opposed to anything else. Is this a thing? or is it just a surge of testosterone from the masculinity of it all.

my attraction to women has increased slightly and I notice more women from time to time (which means I notice men slightly less too).

One thing I have noticed when I come in contact with people is how I feel. when its a guy it usually (always occasional exceptions) starts off with no feeling at all then its I guess he is kind of attractive... wait did I just think that two seconds ago he wasn't attractive now I can't stop thinking it. I hope this doesn't turn me on right here.

when its a girl its usually !wow! this is really nice I am not use to this kind of feeling. its soft and inviting. it makes me feel uncomfortable in a good way.

I also don't know how I feel about this one guy. I love hanging out with him all the time , but I usually don't feel attracted to him, unless it's one of those well I guess he is kind of attractive wait what now every guy is attractive oh man I really do like him kind of days which does happen.

I really have no idea if I am straight, gay, queer, bi, or maybe even have some kind of HOCD or something.

I also remember in kindergarten I got kissed by a girl behind the cubbies (locker things) I remember saying eww gross you have cooties or something similar, but looking back I don't remember if I actually felt grossed out by it or if I just said that because I thought that's what you were suppose to do. I have never kissed anyone girl or guy if you exclude the kindergarten kiss. I don't usually come into close contact with anyone in a social setting either. I also noticed I am more than slightly less than completely more attracted to females rather than males when I have had a couple of beers this past year. but again not always.

After coming to college I am more accepted by people. which means I am more comfortable being myself. I do not feel that I would have to act a certain way or be someone I am not regardless of what my orientation ends up. Plus I don't have a problem with anyone being a part of the lgbtq+ community.

I want to be completely straight, but do not know if I am. I do want to be straight to avoid ridicule or cruelty I want to be straight because I feel like I am suppose to be... if that made sense. thank you for reading everything

if you have any advice, insight or thoughts please comment because i think it would really help me figure everything out.

2. RainOnVII

Hello--sorry if I use labels/terms too much, and if they offend you. I just find it easier to explain my thoughts if I use them. Remember that labels aren't all-encompassing entities, and that you are the one who decides who you are :slight_smile:

Have you heard of the difference between sexual attraction and romantic attraction? It sounds like you're sexually (or physically, if you prefer) attracted to men, while you're romantically attracted to women. Is that right, or am I missing something?

I'm not completely sure why your preferences fluctuate back and forth, though I'm guessing it's because you seem to be harboring a little denial. Just a bit, since you don't want to be ridiculed by people. It must be really hard for you, and you might feel uncertain, or maybe scared. It's completely okay--everyone fears the unknown, the possibility, and no one likes being, well, disliked. I'd be a hypocrite, and an ignorant bigot to tell you to "man up"--after all, I haven't told a single person my non-gender, that I don't care for sexual acts, or that I love all genders and sexes, all people.

You're already plenty brave by letting people know that you're not ashamed. It's common sense not wanting to be hurt. Just let yourself know, when you figure out what you truly want and who you really are, and keep it to yourself. That's the first step. Then you can think about telling anyone else.

I hope this helped! :slight_smile:

3. hiimpaul2014

Sorry to completely change what I wrote about the ridicule thing. I thought I typed not ridicule.

So I want to be straight not to avoid ridicule (I don't think I would be because of my friends would seem cool with it.) but because I feel that it is what I'm suppose to be. But I don't know if I actually fall under this category or not.

---------- Post added 11th Aug 2015 at 04:29 PM ----------

To answer the rest of it yeah I guess so my sexual and romantic attraction are different but I notice girls from time to time too. I don't know though I really just want to understand. I try the go with the flow and it doesn't work. I'm just getting annoyed with it.

4. RainOnVII

Oh, I'm sorry! Must've read the sentence wrong--there's a "do" there (I agree, it's probably a typo)?

If you truly feel like you're straight, then that's what you should call yourself--you're the only one who has a say in who you say you are, and labels don't work for everyone.

Re-reading your post, I'm wondering if you just feel aesthetic appreciation for a guy's body/looks...or maybe that's too mild? There's something...I think it's called a sexual fetish? Fetishes are synonymous with "kinks", which include concepts like domination. Maybe you're not so much interested in men, but the domination aspect? There's also asexual fetishist, which is not so much feeling sexual towards the actual, living thing/person, but more like the idea/theme/feelings of it (asexual fetishists can get pleasure from books and other materials too).

Of course, these are just guesses/suggestions of what you're feeling. If you really feel straight, and feel that the label is the right one, then go for it. It's all up to you :slight_smile:

#4 RainOnVII, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  5. hiimpaul2014

Yeah I guess I never thought about it like that. Maybe that's what it is. My lack of experience in the romance category really has me overthinking a lot and I might Need to just take a step back. Who knows really hoping I figure it out soon.