1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me with labels

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Whirlwind, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Guest

Hi,
    I came to the realisation that I am not straight quite a while ago but I really struggle with labels, I am definitely sexually and romantically attracted to girls but I occasionally think I might have some romantic feelings for guys too, I have come out to a couple of friends and it was very difficult to explain how I feel without labels and they were left feeling quite confused about what I was trying to say (supportive though) and I want to come out to some other friends and my family as well but I don't know how to label myself? I don't feel like the label gay/lesbian works for me. :bang:

2. RainOnVII

Hello, I'm the poster who generally uses labels to help explain things--though labels aren't 100%, so just take them with a grain of salt. Fair warnings and all.

Being sexually attracted to only girls is usually "Lesbian", "Gay", and the sometimes offensive "Homosexual" or "queer"; and the term for being romantically attracted to girls and guys is "Biromantic"--so you could technically be called a "Biromantic Lesbian". If you feel like romantic attraction is more important, you could just say that you're bi, and that you're not sexually attracted to guys? I'm throwing out suggestions--use any of them, or none of them; ultimately, you're the one who decides who you are.

I hope this helped you out. Also, it's great that your friends are interested in understanding you.

#2 RainOnVII, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  3. WhoAm I

Well the technical term for what I understand you are is "Bi-romantic Homosexual" or "Bi-romantic Lesbian". This means you are sexually attracted to women but are romantically attracted to both men and women. However if you don't like this label, you could explain your orientation as "gay" or "queer" but you don't like labels.