1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel bad for questioning...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Iza, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iza

Iza

I am 15 and have been questioning my sexuality for around a year now. I am feel like I am mostly, possibly entirely attracted to girls, but I don't know if I should continue to think about my sexual orientation. A lot of the people I have met in the LGBT+ community have told me that questioning at 15 hurts the LGBT cause, because most people turn out to be straight, and questioning becomes a fad. The consensus seems to be that I shouldn't know my sexuality until I am 25. I don't feel like I want to date guys, and the idea of not having a girlfriend for ten more years feels awful, so will that feeling fade in time? How detrimental to the LGBT+ community is it to talk about questioning before you know for certain? Is it offensive to date a lesbian before you know for sure if it is a phase? What are the chances of this being a phase I know most people are straight, so I can't exactly blame anyone who doesn't believe me, but I really don't know whether I can honestly keep questioning without looking like a special snowflake, but the feeling of not knowing or pretending to want to date guys until I figure it out is killing me.

2. lovely lesbian

I dont think you should feel bad for questioning at 15 you are still young but if you know you know.

#2 lovely lesbian, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  3. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a lot of us younger people here on EC! And it's totally normal to be questioning after puberty, because that's when the hormones kick in and stuff. Many people have known they were gay even earlier than 15. There's no "age" for you to know and you're not hurting the LGBT cause by questioning.

4. zgirl81

Oh man!

If I had listened to myself when I was 15 I would have saved myself a LOT of stress and pain. Don't pretend to be something you're not, and don't ever apologize about trying to figure out who you are! Whoever told you that you "can't know" until you're 25 doesn't really understand how brains or sexual orientation work.

Questioning doesn't hurt the LGBT cause. Especially if you're open about the fact that you're questioning! I'm sure that 90%+ of the people here will understand what you're saying and be able to give you great advice as you figure things out.

I'm always here for a PM if you need support or a view from a person older than yourself :slight_smile:

5. WardenTabris

You shouldn't feel bad for questioning at 15. If people can know they're straight at 15, you can know if you're not. As far as I'm aware, most people realise in their teens. Some realise later, but that doesn't mean you have to. It's not hurting anyone for you to question your identity in any way. Don't think you have to pretend to be something you're not, or pretend you aren't feeling this way,, because you are completely allowed to. Everyone in the LGBT community had to start questioning at some point and working out what they are feeling.

6. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Questioning doesn't hurt the LGBT community in anyway. And no even if you turn out straight but dated a lesbian before that there is absolutely no problem with it as long as your relationship was a genuine one. There is no "right age" to know, some people know it when they're ten some when they're forty five, most find out once they are in your age so I'd say that it's completely normal to do it now.( I honestly wonder why people would tell you otherwise..)

Besides what you describe makes it sound like you have really good reasons for questioning.

7. seeking

I started questioning younger than you. I don't see anything wrong with questioning. I mostly questioned alone because that is how I figure stuff out..on my own.

I think 'knowing at 25 years of age' isn't everyone. I knew pretty much before I was 20 that I completely homo, but I didn't accept it for some years. There are people that didn't really know until in their 40's or 50's.

Explore your feelings. If you have feelings for a specific person explore those feelings. To me you will naturally discover if you are gay, straight, or bisexual (and there are many other identifies of sexuality).

8. Pandagurl76

Saying you won't know until you're 25 is ridiculous! Most straight people know they're attracted to the same gender around puberty, so it shouldn't be any different for gay people. I knew i was attracted to girls at around 14 but didn't accept it properly until I was about 19.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is an old thread from August last year. It's great that you are all willing to offer support and advice, but the threadstarter is probably not checking in for updates so long after posting. If you can focus on newer/recently posted threads that would be great. :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.