1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I be Gay despite being Genderqueer and Asexual?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by WickedConfused, Aug 17, 2015.

1. WickedConfused

I've been told recently that I can't be gay because I identify as genderqueer/gender-fluid/agender and asexual.

I have always been attracted to men (I was assigned as a male at birth) and recently came out as gay.

However, I also have never felt fully connected to my assigned sex. I have more feminine stereotypical characteristics than male characteristics, however I believe I'm gender fluid as these characteristics deviate situationally.

On top of this, I'm asexual as I have virtually no desire to have sex with anyone.

I classify myself as gay because I'm romantically/physically attracted to men while my assigned sex is male.

I think it's important to note that I don't identify as female, even though I have more feminine characteristics than male. I still use male pronouns.

So, I guess I just want to know, is it appropriate to call myself gay? I can't even comprehend how I would describe myself otherwise.

Also to note, I'm very comfortable calling myself gay, so I would only change it if something hecka-more suitable exists.

Cheers.

2. Lyana

Hey, WickedConfused.

If you think gay suits you and you like the label, then by all means use it. Some people use other terms that are not linked to their own gender identity (like "androsexual" to mean attracted to men), and while these can certainly be useful if you don't identify within the gender binary, they may require more explanation or be less useful in day to day life. It's your call which label to choose, but don't let us decide whether or not you can call yourself gay.

3. WickedConfused

Thanks for responding so quickly.

And yeah, I am comfortable with that label, it was just confusing hearing people say that my labels were contradictory - I couldn't find anything to prove them wrong either so I was just wondering if I was in fact the one who was wrong.

Though I've always been told to use whatever label is most comfortable so I'm glad you re-valuated that.