1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hormones and sexuality

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Libra Neko, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Back in early March, I had a period. I then stopped having them; around that time I figured I was gay. Interestingly enough, when I realized I'm really more bi, I got another period. I wonder if this is a coincidence. Maybe I wasn't producing estrogen or something.
    Btw, I wasn't pregnant.

2. QBear

I've never heard of this before. Interesting question.
    My guess I its just a coincidence, but there could be something to it.

We do know that sometimes when trans people take hormones to transition, their sexuality changes. Sometimes, for example, transmen who were formerly lesbians before transition become gay men after transition. That said, in those cases, we're talking about very large doses of hormones, and major shifts in the endocrine system.

And we also know that women's general level of sexual desire often fluctuates with their menstrual cycles.

Unless your still in the midst of puberty (or going through menopause), I'd doubt the magnitude of the hormone shifts would be large enough to shift your full identity.

But I'm a man, so what do I know?

I'd be very interested to hear what other women have say on this.

3. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've identified as bi since age 17, but felt I'd lost interest in men. So it wouldn't be a total switch. But I do think it's connected.

4. TeaTree

I'm not an expert, but based on what I've read hormones only influence sexual desire levels (you'll want more or less) but not the actual sexual orientation. Also in my understanding there is a default sexual orientation which can be more fluid or not, but that default one doesn't change. Though this looks far from an exact science to me. At least for now.
    I've been looking into this also because I have some form of PCOS and was curious if it could be related that I've only recently come to the realisation of not being so straight :slight_smile: But there are more factors here, at least in my case my attraction to women dates back into my early teens, so it's not like PCOS changed my orientation.
    I like more to look at it as a helpful tool maybe, if there really is a correlation then it's nothing more than that in my opinion :slight_smile:

5. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, looking back I think the only reason I was thinking I was gay, not bi, was because I wasn't as interested in men, not because I had a stronger attraction to women. So I was sort of asexual, not gay.

6. QBear

Well, a lack of sexual desire could definitely be associated with low hormone levels.
    That is definitely something that is well documented.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is also the chance that you could be more of a fluid bisexual as well. I know that I go through times where I am more attracted to men and times when I am more attracted to women. Personally though, when I had my cycle, I never noticed any changes in my attractions.

8. AceGamer

You could be a bi-romantic grayasexual maybe? If by sort of asexual you mean rarely feeling sexual attraction. But hormones wont change your sexuality you could have a fluid sexuality.