1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual Assult: BI?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by mellowheartie, Aug 23, 2015.

1. mellowheartie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am 15 and female,
    unfortunately a few months ago I was sexually assaulted two times on one occasion. Before then I had considered being slightly attracted to girls but I wasn't sure. Now I feel like I am. I feel attracted to both genders and I'm not sure if I was born this way or not. There is so much hate out there for bi people and I'm scared to come out. Why am I like this? I am not homophobic in the slightest, its just that I don't want to have to be hated for who I am, especially by the church since I'm Catholic. What are some theories as to why I'm Bi? Am i bi?? I need to add that for the first time I have tried bandaging up my breasts and it felt right. I felt like I belonged and comfortable. Please help. :icon_sad:

#1 mellowheartie, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello there, and welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

I don't believe that your sexual assualt 'made' you bisexual. We've had people ask very similar questions in the past, and the consensus has always been the same: your sexual orientation is 'in-built' and can't be 'changed' by an event - even by something as horrible as what you've been through.

It's my belief that suffering sexual abuse doesn't change your sexual orientation - but it can certainly alter the way you think about sex. Which is why my advice at the moment is to follow your heart towards whatever, and whoever, makes you happy. Don't panic about finding a label for yourself straight away - if you decide that the "bisexual" label suits you, then you will be okay.

Attraction towards men and women is perfectly natural. Even though you may encounter some ignorant people, and I appreciate why you might be worried about your religious friends and family - but bisexual people are perfectly normal. Nobody should hate you for who you are, and if they do, then they're probably not people you want around long-term. I know that's easier said than done!

You're absolutely not alone, there are plenty of people out there who feel exactly the same way as you do. The confusion doesn't last forever! I think you should take a look around the forum, you may find some posts and threads that shed some light on things - there are some great posts about sexuality and gender identity and expression. You don't have to have all the answers straight away.

Whatever happens - you will be just fine. :slight_smile:

3. QBear

Yes, welcome!
    I agree with everything spartan/glenn said.
    I am so sorry to hear that you were assaulted. Know that it was not your fault. And consider getting some trauma counseling if and when you are ready.

Regarding your sexuality, no one knows for sure why some of us are bisexual, lesbian, and gay. But it does appear to be deeply intrinsic and biological, and is a natural (I'd say beautiful) part of human biological diversity. And, in fact, a part of biological diversity in general, for bisexual, lesbian, and gay behavior has been well documented in 100s of species of animals.