1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do we all different preferences and types?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by MarriageVeil, Aug 29, 2015.

1. MarriageVeil

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Just... why? Why might one lesbian prefer butches while another prefers lipstick lesbians, for example? Why might someone prefer hardworking quiet people while someone else prefers partying loud people? Is it something that we are born with, shaped by our environment, or both?

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a bit of everything, but I also think it's a bit like asking why we are all different, it's just because we are due to our genetics, our background and the things we've experienced through our life.

I am attracted to loud, opinionated and charismatic feminine girls (among other things lol) and in my case it's a lot of who I am but about guys I like them very masculine and strong, not so much muscular but more in a way of them making me feel safe and secure and it's mostly because of my background and past experience.

We are all different so we do need people with different tastes to keep reproducing lol otherwise we would all be on the same people and it wouldn't work, surely ?

3. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's rather shaped by environment.

4. Lyana

i doubt there's a definitive answer to this, though I'm interested in seeing what others have to say.

I think some of it is determined by your environment and experiences growing up -- for example, someone with a past of abuse or who has known violent people might prefer a strong, protective partner. I'm fairly sure that my type was heavily influenced by my father's side of the family, since I find the physical traits they have desirable.
    Some of it is biological, too -- traits like symmetrical features are generally considered pleasing.
    Some of it comes from yourself -- an shy person might be attracted to a loud, confident extrovert because they admire them, or they might be more intrigued by someone who's as quiet as they are because they feel they have things in common.

It's a very interesting question, but the truth is that we don't really know. I can think of situations where it could be beneficial/instructive to question our attractions, but in most cases, all we can do is accept them.

5. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a very interesting question indeed. I like bigger guys in general; I think they're cuter/more attractive than a person who has a slim toned body. While I can pinpoint my types, I cannot for the life of me find out why I'm attracted to these people, and even when I do, it doesn't change anything; I'm still attracted to bigger guys.