1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newly Confused

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by lovethelauren, Aug 31, 2015.

1. lovethelauren

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    A while ago, I would have never thought I would question my sexuality. I had always viewed myself as straight. My first boyfriend told me at first he had thought I was bisexual, and I firmly denied it. I am now a freshman entering a women's college, and one person changed everything.
    They (let's call them Sam) introduced themselves and added that they used the pronouns "they and them". Using pronouns in such a way was very new to me - I had grown up in a very conservative community. I thought to myself that Sam was a very beautiful person, but didn't feel attracted to them. A few days later, I had gotten to know Sam somewhat and learned that Sam had struggled with some of the things that I had suffered with growing up (not related to sexuality). Over time, I began to feel very attracted to Sam. I'm not sure if it's because I'm now surrounded by women 24/7, or if I go back home I'll feel attracted to only males again. I know that I will always be attracted to Sunny, and I know I'm still attracted to males, so I'm not sure it's just a one in a lifetime thing or not.
    I think my confusion lies where sexuality is fluid. Sunny shared that in a discussion group, and a lot of people seemed to agree. I mean, I've always admired bisexual people in the fact that they love both genders for who they are. But now I've been introduced to a new term: "queer", an umbrella term for people who don't want to identify exclusively one way or the other. I think right now I am falling into that category, as I'm beginning to view women in a different way. My question is: is it possible to just go from being straight to liking someone that is biologically the same sex as I am? Like I said before, it might be because I'm surrounded by women right now, but that allows me to see them in a new light, right?
    Any comments are appreciated, I'm just really confused right now. :help:

2. levi2000

Yes, you can go from straight to queer. Sometimes sexuality is fluid and can change. If you're only attracted to another gender because you're around them a lot, it doesn't invalidate the fact that you're attracted to them.
    You can certainly identify as queer if the label feels good to you.

If you don't mind, I'd like to comment on your vocabulary a little bit.

Try to avoid saying things like "biological sex" or "biologically the same sex" because it forces some people into a category where they don't belong. As you talk about Sam, you talk about them as if they were a woman because of their genitals. Try to avoid doing this because it invalidates trans people's identities.
    Also, the idea of biological sex is outdated and unnecessary, and doesn't include all people (some people have XXY chromosomes instead of XX or XY, etc.)
    I don't mean to be rude by correcting you, I just want to avoid offending trans people.
    Thanks!

3. lovethelauren

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    levi2000,

Thank you so much for correcting me, this is all very new to me - thankfully I'm learning.